Another diesel cabin heater thread - - which drip feed diesel stove?

14K478

Visit site
This isn't about blown air heaters... I would like to have a vented diesel drip feed stove as well as a blown air heater and am looking at the Refleks stoves. Particularly their model 61MSK.

Another option is to scrap the really very nice OceanChef propane cooking stove and fit a Dickinson, but the boat isn't an Alaskan fishing vessel and a diesel cooking stove could be too much of a good thing in the summer...

Last edited:

14K478

Visit site
X marks the spot where I want to put a drip feed stove, which is highly likely to be a Refleks, as they have all the features that I like (ability to run radiators, hot plate, and best of all a balanced flue system with an air intake in with the exhaust flue, which solves the recurring pressure differential issues, which can make life a misery when running one of these stoves at sea.

X is currently a settee over an empty battery box. Unlike the previous owner I don’t need to accommodate a crew of a dozen - we’ve never sailed more than six up.

There used to be an Eberspacher under the skipper’s bunk and since the plumbing ducting and wiring is all still there she will be getting a 4kw Espar in its place.

Attachments

• IMG_0942.jpeg
    IMG_0942.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 45

BabaYaga

Visit site
...highly likely to be a Refleks, as they have all the features that I like (ability to run radiators, hot plate, and best of all a balanced flue system with an air intake in with the exhaust flue, which solves the recurring pressure differential issues, which can make life a misery when running one of these stoves at sea.
To have a balanced flue system, surely the heater would need to have a dedicated air intake? I could be wrong, but I think this is lacking on most (or all) of the current Refleks models.
If this feature is important, perhaps have a look at the Glembring range of oil heaters, similar to Refleks in most aspects, but with a sleeve coupling for combustion air.
Catalogue (only in Swedish, but illustrated):
http://glembring.se/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Kaminkatalog_1006.pdf

GHA

Visit site
We love our Reflex. Very reliable, no noise and no power consumption. The hot plate is also suprisingly useful.
Could not agree more 😎
Just lovely feeling snug & warm with a pot of stew bubbling away on the Reflex when there's a cold wind blowing hard through the anchorage. Keeps the boat nice and dry as well. Been known to stay alight for weeks at a time.

14K478

Visit site
To have a balanced flue system, surely the heater would need to have a dedicated air intake? I could be wrong, but I think this is lacking on most (or all) of the current Refleks models.
If this feature is important, perhaps have a look at the Glembring range of oil heaters, similar to Refleks in most aspects, but with a sleeve coupling for combustion air.
Catalogue (only in Swedish, but illustrated):
http://glembring.se/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Kaminkatalog_1006.pdf
Thank you.

My understanding, based on the website of a Refleks agent here is that Refleks do offer a “balanced flue” system with a dedicated air intake.

Lockgate Stoves

This is a good way of dealing with the downdraft issue which can be a real nuisance if you want to use the stove under way at sea, particularly under sail. DAMHIKT!

BabaYaga

Visit site
Thank you.

My understanding, based on the website of a Refleks agent here is that Refleks do offer a “balanced flue” system with a dedicated air intake.

Lockgate Stoves

This is a good way of dealing with the downdraft issue which can be a real nuisance if you want to use the stove under way at sea, particularly under sail. DAMHIKT!
Indeed, so it seems. Although, I could find no information regarding this option on the Refleks website. Perhaps an 'add-on' supplied by the agent?
FWIW, this is my installation of the smallest Glembring stove (1.8kW) with a balanced flue:
IMG_6905.jpeg

Last edited:

BabaYaga

Visit site
Although, I could find no information regarding this option on the Refleks website. Perhaps an 'add-on' supplied by the agent?
Correction, it seems I was not looking at the right website. These instructions are from the manufacturer's website and do cover the option of an combustion air intake (which is marked by the letter F in the model designation):
https://refleks-olieovne.dk/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/gbmontny.pdf
My understanding is that the model 61 that you are considering does not have this feature 'off the shelf', but must be manufactured to order.
One other thing to keep an eye on is that a model with a copper spiral for water heating may require the installation of such a system from the start (the coil will be damaged from being empty). There is a new model, 2000KV, that avoids this problem, making it possible to install water heating at a later date.

14K478

Visit site
Correction, it seems I was not looking at the right website. These instructions are from the manufacturer's website and do cover the option of an combustion air intake (which is marked by the letter F in the model designation):
https://refleks-olieovne.dk/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/gbmontny.pdf
My understanding is that the model 61 that you are considering does not have this feature 'off the shelf', but must be manufactured to order.
One other thing to keep an eye on is that a model with a copper spiral for water heating may require the installation of such a system from the start (the coil will be damaged from being empty). There is a new model, 2000KV, that avoids this problem, making it possible to install water heating at a later date.
Thank you again and may I say that you are nothing like the Baba Yaga in Arthur Ransome's "Old Peter's Russian Tales", which is the only other acquaintance I have had with this terrifying lady!

So I need to scope out the whole installation and specify it from the outset, as I do want the water radiators, that being the practical way to get some warmth into the forecabin and the heads compartment.

Thank you very much indeed for the Instructions!

Last edited: