anodised masts

ELRIKA

Visit site
Could anyone advise me on the relative merits of anodised mast versus 2 pack painted masts. I've been quoted a paint job for a new mast but am concerned that it will not protect the mast as well as anodised treatment and will cause me future corrosive problems, especially in those areas where steel meets aluminium!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Anthony

Visit site
Just be aware anodised fades (admitidaly over a long time). I have a black anodised mast on my yacht, that was very badly faded / patchy when I bought it, the previous owener had overpainted painted the boom black, so I was somewhat obliged to paint the rest of the mast to match, that was my first (and prob last) experience of using two part. It is has lasted better than I thought it would, but is scrapped off where the s/s/ wire halyard slaps.

She is 20, so I doubt fading is an urgent problem for you on a new mast, but not sure how long before they loose that shiny look. I expect black would be the worst. Having had an anodised and now painted mast, I would prob have one without anything if I ever got a new one!

<hr width=100% size=1>