Anither mobile abroad query

billskip

Visit site
No, one can't. As I said in post 31, the UK is one of the few countries to allow anyone to buy a SIM, many other countries are restrictive. For example in Italy you need to provide your Italian tax number to register a SIM.
Ok well Spain you have to provide passport, and I'm sure that the restrictions have a workaround,for example an EU sim will be free roaming wont it?

billskip

Visit site
No, one can't. As I said in post 31, the UK is one of the few countries to allow anyone to buy a SIM, many other countries are restrictive. For example in Italy you need to provide your Italian tax number to register a SIM.
Quote.....
Buying a prepaid sim card in Italy is very easy and also very affordable. All you need to do is locate a store of your preferred provider, hop into their shop, bring your passport and 5 minutes later you walk away with a ton of data on your new local sim card.May 12, 2022
Mmm the above is incorrect info is it?

st599

Visit site
Quote.....
Buying a prepaid sim card in Italy is very easy and also very affordable. All you need to do is locate a store of your preferred provider, hop into their shop, bring your passport and 5 minutes later you walk away with a ton of data on your new local sim card.May 12, 2022
Mmm the above is incorrect info is it?

Definitely asked for a Codice Fiscale when we were working there last year.

Similar in Germany where you need proof of address to register a SIM and Poland where you need a residence permit. Sweden was even more of a pain when we were there working as you need a Swedish credit card to buy a prepaid SIM and proof of residence.

billskip

Visit site
Definitely asked for a Codice Fiscale when we were working there last year.

Similar in Germany where you need proof of address to register a SIM and Poland where you need a residence permit. Sweden was even more of a pain when we were there working as you need a Swedish credit card to buy a prepaid SIM and proof of residence.
Well I cant comment on Poland,but when I was in Sweden and Germany I had no problem, just had to give ID = passport.

billskip

Visit site
Thanks Davy. I have placed an order for the MSE/Lebara deal and I'll see how it goes.

At that price it's not the end of the world if it turns out to be no good.
I have a TP L ink wifi, I tried it with a DIGI sim and it would not work, I put a Vodafone sim in it then worked.
The guy who sold the sim cards couldn't explain it, TP Link said the DIGI sim may not work on data only.

Sailfree

Visit site
So far our Virgin UK SIM has worked OK but got a hiccup with Virgin new SIM replacement rollout. We are having replacement SIMs sent out to us in Portugal and advised they will work OK.

Returning to UK in October if they can only be commission in UK will do it then.

Apparently Virgin (and I assume O2) are migrating their networks to Vodafone.

Poignard

Visit site
Thanks Davy. I have placed an order for the MSE/Lebara deal and I'll see how it goes.

At that price it's not the end of the world if it turns out to be no good.
It didn't go well!

I bought the Lebara SIM and tested it in the UK using data. It worked fine.

When I got to France it wouldn't work.

I started an online chat with Lebara support.

The Lebara chatline is incredibly slow to respond. (Presumably the operator is dealing with too many people at the same time.)

Eventually the operator asked if I had made a phone call or sent a test in the UK.

I said I hadn't as I am only interested in using the SIM for data.

Unbeknown to me, the Lebara SIM won't work abroad unless you have first sent a text or made a phone call in the UK before going abroad.

Next question , what can I do to get round the problem? (Jokingly) Fly back to the UK, send a text and then return to France?

Answer: yes.

Online chat terminated by me. Direct debit cancelled.

Davy_S

Visit site
That's a bit of a bugger! when i had my huawei mifi, i used the giffgaff sim in the uk, i then (before roaming) used a sim from Orange in Tenerife, both worked, but as you say, the sim worked in your huawei in the uk, you simply got beat by a technicality, could you perhaps use a French data sim instead?

Poignard

Visit site
That's a bit of a bugger! when i had my huawei mifi, i used the giffgaff sim in the uk, i then (before roaming) used a sim from Orange in Tenerife, both worked, but as you say, the sim worked in your huawei in the uk, you simply got beat by a technicality, could you perhaps use a French data sim instead?
That would have been the sensible thing to do. ?