Anger at boats anchoring overnight

Old Harry

Visit site
I'm trying to find out. I don't recognise the format. Doesn't look like Twitter or Facebook on my PC, but things look different depending on setup. Does anyone recognise the social media platform?
Google search on "Suffolk constabulary" "Harrild" turns up nothing, but I don't know that Google indexes all social media.
Is Harrild a boat name

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Whatever the Suffolk Police web team may or may not think (and frankly I'd be astonished if the image is genuine) the simple fact is that it is now, for the time being at least, against the law to be away from home overnight except under a very limited range of exceptional circumstances, none of which are applicable to sailing

Like it or lump it, that's the reality

Is it morally right to pick and choose x which laws to obey and which c to v ignore? Hmm! Too deep for me :)

It is probable that the guidance was quietly codified into law because people were ignoring the guidance. Make of gnat what you will.

Right now it's a right bugger because, understandably, our marina is not going to relax its ban on staying aboard overnight until the law and the guidance has changed. So we're stuck in the yard with no prospect of getting the work done that needs doing. Hey ho

If we were afloat we'd probably be quietly breaking the law this weekend but i wouldn't be crowing about it on social media!

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
="Bru, post: 7214962, "

If we were afloat we'd probably be quietly breaking the law this weekend but i wouldn't be crowing about it on social media!

Quite a few out there on this beautiful June evening.

You would think that they would turn their AIS off though.:)

cherod

Visit site
upon return from an unscheduled night of absence does your marina walla or port authority comandant not enquire as to where you were last night ??

longjohnsilver

Visit site
upon return from an unscheduled night of absence does your marina walla or port authority comandant not enquire as to where you were last night ??
What business is it of the marina. Or the port authority. Unless they both plan to give you a discount for the time spent away.

cherod

Visit site
What business is it of the marina. Or the port authority. Unless they both plan to give you a discount for the time spent away.
( well that would be nice , but i already have mine , and very generous it was too ) ,,,,, is it anybodys business ?? , i suspect if i were to answere any queery with that answere they would prob have the plod onto me ,, maybe not. :)

johnalison

Visit site
I suspect that it is because marinas such as mine have been subject to visits from the police and need to show that they are complying with the current rules in order to avoid having their business further inspected and possibly curtailed. If a marina is seen to be a source of rule-breaking, whether the staff have any authority or not, then the marina will be blamed.

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
I saw an enterprising post on a forum I can’t remember that from Monday this would be a legal scenario. Sail 12 miles offshore into international waters, usually 12 miles. Come back and declare you need to isolate for 14 days on your boat. Don’t forget to fill in and send off the appropriate form. Maybe East Coasters only need to closely round Sealand to have been abroad. Is a 3 mile radius around Rough Towers their territorial waters?

longjohnsilver

Visit site
I suspect that it is because marinas such as mine have been subject to visits from the police and need to show that they are complying with the current rules in order to avoid having their business further inspected and possibly curtailed. If a marina is seen to be a source of rule-breaking, whether the staff have any authority or not, then the marina will be blamed.
Sorry, but thats laughable.

How can a marina be in any way responsible for an individual taking his boat out and then not returning before nightfall. Are they supposed to come out searching for you, like a shepherd looking for a lost sheep?

Charlie Boy

Visit site
Well, if there’s no wind and say your engine fails in Hamford water, what can you do but drop anchor and await the morning breeze? It’s that or the lifeboat for a tow.

Reactions: XTE

oldgit

Visit site
Morning All.
Just off down the river to Stangate this morning , hopefully space to moor.
Bright sunshine, a nice ebb to get me there. LW around mid day so the flood to help me get back again.
Whats not to like ?

For those on the forums who actually have boat and use it, my bottom is covered in weed.
A long que of boats now wanting to get on the drying blocks with me right at the end. :(

Ps.How much is lift out in the Marina at Barnards Castle ? :)

cherod

Visit site
so much weed on the s / board hull yesterday it blocked the engine water intake ,,, blew it throo , clear for now

seivadnehpets

www.schnark.home.blog
My train home on Friday was stopped short because a person was hit by a train less than a mile from my house.

"Suicide is a significant national social issue in the United Kingdom. In 2017 there were approximately 5,821 registered deaths by suicide in the United Kingdom, equating to an average of 16 suicides per day in the country. Suicide is the single biggest killer of men under the age of 45 in the country."
Coppied from wiki

My experience is that coroners are loathe to find suicide if there is any doubt, partly out of kindness to relatives, so this figure, like the covid number, needs careful reading.

The line is a very slow branch line though an unfashionable South London suburb.

Time to accept mortality and move on.

johnalison

Visit site
Sorry, but thats laughable.

How can a marina be in any way responsible for an individual taking his boat out and then not returning before nightfall. Are they supposed to come out searching for you, like a shepherd looking for a lost sheep?
It's not whether you find it laughable but whether the police and others share your sense of humour.