Anger at boats anchoring overnight

cherod

Visit site
My train home on Friday was stopped short because a person was hit by a train less than a mile from my house.

"Suicide is a significant national social issue in the United Kingdom. In 2017 there were approximately 5,821 registered deaths by suicide in the United Kingdom, equating to an average of 16 suicides per day in the country. Suicide is the single biggest killer of men under the age of 45 in the country."
Coppied from wiki
My experience is that coroners are loathe to find suicide if there is any doubt, partly out of kindness to relatives, so this figure, like the covid number, needs careful reading.

The line is a very slow branch line though an unfashionable South London suburb.

Time to accept mortality and move on.
and so .. ? did you then have to spend the nite on your boat ?

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
https://www.ons.gov.uk/file?uri=/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/datasets/weeklyprovisionalfiguresondeathsregisteredinenglandandwales/2020/publishedweek212020.xlsx

Currently released up to 22nd May. There seems to be a two to three week lagg.
I guess just enough time for government to bend the figures;)
As the ONS frequently calls the government and ministers to account, suggesting that the figures they supply are bent is disingenuous..

Chalk

Visit site
The law says " No person may, without reasonable excuse, stay overnight at any place other than the place where they are living". It does not say what all those reasonable excuses might be. After a sail, I like a beer. It is reasonable for me not to drive home after a beer. That therefore is a reasonable excuse for staying. That and any other reason you choose: tiredness, argument with household member, cost of petrol, CO2 emissions. This is NOT clever. It's the law.
No marina should be preventing you from staying on your boat overnight unless they have designated powers by the local authority. Thus they may be in breach of contract with you if they prevent you from staying on your boat without those formal powers.
Any relevant authorities response to your staying on your boat must be 'reasonable and proportionate'. I'd love to see the test in court for kicking someone off their boat as being reasonable or proportionate in relation to a) sitting on a boat alone compared with b) a long drive home. It would be laughed out of court.
Stay on your boat if you want. You're breaking no law & you're not increasing transmission risk by doing so.

Lucy52

Visit site
On “Question Time” Radio 4 two days ago Theo Paphitis when questioned about opening his Ryman stores said that they were, “guidelines to be implemented where possible.”

Lucy Powell MP who was on the panel when asked said, “that is where the confusion comes from,” she was going to talk with her colleagues about it.

seivadnehpets

www.schnark.home.blog
There is no need to shoot the messenger. I was only attempting to explain how things might appear to the marina operators.
I suspect most of us are also trying to justify/make sense of our own actions, on both sides.
I know for myself I am inclined toward under achievement, (case in point, I am still at home), the current restrictions are likely to exacerbate my problem, and one of society in general; too many people sat on their arses.

Reactions: Boz

cherod

Visit site
There is no need to shoot the messenger. I was only attempting to explain how things might appear to the marina operators.
sorry ( my bad ) if you missunderstood, i did not mean you personally . ( well unless you are a little hitler , i dont know :) )

oldgit

Visit site
The south end of Stangate was fairly busy with an equal mix of mobos and raggies at anchor.
Report from chap who felt that it was his public duty to remain overnight to check on how many boats were moored there overnight.
Stiff breeze and nice to watch some raggy cruisers nipping in and out between the moored boats. We had several friendly waves as they tacked in and out, much to the delight of my grandkids.They also thought the PWCs and the Hovercraft were neat.
Everybody seemed rather chilled and enjoying themselves.

Have just remarried my wife this evening
Had to get divorced this morning to stay within the Dear Leaders single person bubble .

FulmarJeddo

Home-Sidcup, boat-Lower Halstow, Kent, England
Visit site
The south end of Stangate was fairly busy with an equal mix of mobos and raggies at anchor.
Report from chap who felt that it was his public duty to remain overnight to check on how many boats were moored there overnight.
Stiff breeze and nice to watch some raggy cruisers nipping in and out between the moored boats. We had several friendly waves as they tacked in and out, much to the delight of my grandkids.They also thought the PWCs and the Hovercraft were neat.
Everybody seemed rather chilled and enjoying themselves

I was probably one of the raggy cruisers nipping in and out. It was our (Lower Halstow YC) annual Red Sands race. It was a little interesting returning this afternoon with the wind blowing more or less straight down Stangate Creek against us especially as the first two of us ended up in a tacking match from Garison Point to the finish line a the Southern end of Stangate Creek. bc7fdb9b-e7e7-4971-8d73-f70614553a45.JPG

xyachtdave

Visit site
Decent number of boats you had out too. If you can get 10 plus boats out cruiser racing in a mixed fleet on the East Coast you’re doing well.

The crew of the little Hunter made me smile sailing straight past some much larger boats on the way out the creek!

You couldn’t have asked for a better day for sailing than yesterday. We joined in the MYC Montgomery cruise/race which was fun, our tacking battle with a Swan 38 and a Dehler 36 went all the way back to Chatham.

Anyway back to boats anchoring overnight....I didn’t notice any.

:)

syvictoria

Visit site
The law says " No person may, without reasonable excuse, stay overnight at any place other than the place where they are living". It does not say what all those reasonable excuses might be. After a sail, I like a beer. It is reasonable for me not to drive home after a beer. That therefore is a reasonable excuse for staying. That and any other reason you choose: tiredness, argument with household member, cost of petrol, CO2 emissions. This is NOT clever. It's the law.
No marina should be preventing you from staying on your boat overnight unless they have designated powers by the local authority. Thus they may be in breach of contract with you if they prevent you from staying on your boat without those formal powers.
Any relevant authorities response to your staying on your boat must be 'reasonable and proportionate'. I'd love to see the test in court for kicking someone off their boat as being reasonable or proportionate in relation to a) sitting on a boat alone compared with b) a long drive home. It would be laughed out of court.
Stay on your boat if you want. You're breaking no law & you're not increasing transmission risk by doing so.

FFS people, stop deluding yourselves!!!!! Having too much beer to drive is a CHOICE, it's not REASONABLE EXCUSE! If you want to break what is a very clear the law, then do so, but don't expect the marina's, etc. to support or help facilitate your decision. They have a responsibility to uphold the law in force at the time. I will most likely stay on my boat in a couple of weeks time because to me personally the benefit then will out way the potential risk so far as breaking the law is concerned. But that is MY choice and I am not going to delude myself that I am above the law by citing some of the frankly pathetic reasons given above to defend my actions!

And who the hell are you (sorry, I don't know you from Adam, but this is a public forum and so I'm entitled to my opinion too) to categorically state "You're breaking no law & you're not increasing transmission risk by doing so."?!!!! Untrue on both counts.

Come on people... get a grip and some perspective!