Anderson Plugs

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I use Anderson plugs quite a lot

I have outlets in my wheel house for roving 12VDC equipment

I have an Anderson plug on the front winch of my 4x4 so I can remove it to prevent from being stolen.

I first cane across the Anderson plug on a Australian Hooka dive set I retrieved from a Dumpster. I fixed the compressor motor. replaced the battery and it not works fine and use it for underwater inspection of my boat

LiftyK

Visit site
They’re great plugs. Bomb proof. Unisex, meaning no traditional male/female. You can get a captive waterproof cover to cap the ends when not in use. You can even pop out the connecting surface if you wish to refresh the connecting surfaces.

Last edited:

fredrussell

Visit site
Here’s a top tip I was shown by an electrician: instead of crimping the ‘inners’ of Anderson connectors, position them upright in a vice, and, using a fine gas torch, melt solder into the inner until it’s a third full. If the inners have a hole at bottom where fluid solder will escape, a tiny rolled up piece of tinfoil will block that.

Then, with solder still under heat, just lower stripped cable end into solder and then remove heat. Bit of adhesive heat shrink. Job done. The nice thing about this technique is that you can reuse the terminal inners. Just apply heat again whilst pulling cable upwards.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
Here’s a top tip I was shown by an electrician: instead of crimping the ‘inners’ of Anderson connectors, position them upright in a vice, and, using a fine gas torch, melt solder into the inner until it’s a third full. If the inners have a hole at bottom where fluid solder will escape, a tiny rolled up piece of tinfoil will block that.

Then, with solder still under heat, just lower stripped cable end into solder and then remove heat. Bit of adhesive heat shrink. Job done. The nice thing about this technique is that you can reuse the terminal inners. Just apply heat again whilst pulling cable upwards.

After several attempts to find a satisfactory way of fixing the tails in Anderson connectors I adopted the above technique which definitely works.

Steve_N

Visit site

Another advantage of this method is that it works with undersize cable too i.e. where you want to use the smallest SB series 50A connector for much lighter duty connections just for the sake of convenience.

Neeves

Visit site
As far as I can make out the 'connector' pins are cast and the 'tube' for the cable (I think the intention is to crimp) has no hole in the bottom, pins from a source other than the ones I looked at might be different, - so you can fill, or part fill, with solder.

The pin seems to be an aluminium alloy - its very shiny and seems light.

I like the idea of filling, in part, with solder - except that having molten solder around might not be as easy as crimping (if you have crimper with enough grunt).

Fred, why did you suggest solder - does crimping have problems?

On water proofing - driving around Sydney (and places further afield) most or many larger vehicles have a tow bar and a 9 pin connector. I have to assume these 9 pin connectors are 'adequate' but they are certainly not water proof (accepting that few cars suffer from the marine environment).

Jonathan

rogerthebodger

Visit site
The pins in the Anderson plugs I use are tin plated copper not aluminum of any kind and are very easy to solder as fred pointed out.

The potential issue with crimping is the distortion with crimping if no done correctly could cause problems with inserting the pins into the holder

https://www.bunnings.com.au/narva-50a-anderson-plug-2-pack_p0137584

Bunning state silver plated terminals so not aluminium

Jarcar give assembly instruction which is solder as discussed

Anderson 50A Power Connector 8 Gauge Contacts - Red | Jaycar Electronics

There are waterproof , splash proof of submersion proof

The 9 pin trailer plug/socket are splash proof so if submerged will get water inside them and keeping then working can be an sue

Last edited:

Plum

Visit site

Yes, that is what I have always done.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

ean_p

Visit site

as an addition to this, the process may be more successful if both the socket and cable are smeared with a suitable flux and that the cable is introduced into the socket before the solder. The two heated up through having heat applied only to the outside of the socket until such time that solder will melt when applied to the cable. In this way both components are at a suitable temperature. The socket is then filled to close by the top and the heat removed as soon as practicable.

Further to the general thread then Anderson plugs ( the genuine ones) are good useful devices especially when they provide the facility of the auxiliary contacts that can be used for a multitude of functions. The worst that I can say of them is that they are a b*****d if and when you get your flesh trapped in them as they 'snap' together.......

laika

Visit site
Fred, why did you suggest solder - does crimping have problems?
Fredrussel highlighted connector re-use. I went the solder route partly for Steve_N’s reason, that 50A was far more than I needed and crimping is not ideal for smaller gauge wires than the connector is designed for, and also that I didn’t want to buy a crimp tool for a one off job

Neeves

Visit site
Fredrussel highlighted connector re-use. I went the solder route partly for Steve_N’s reason, that 50A was far more than I needed and crimping is not ideal for smaller gauge wires than the connector is designed for, and also that I didn’t want to buy a crimp tool for a one off job
I am lucky, I have inherited a decent crimp tool, from 40 years ago. A sparky left it by mistake, he then left HK, not to return. Realistically though it has been useful, very, the number of crimps I have to make would not justify buying one for each task. If I were doing is frequently joining connectors to heavy duty cable - a decent crimper is worth the investment. The big problem with cable for 50 amp is the cost :( of the cable - most other costs become incidental.

I watched a You Tube vid last night on Anderson plugs and he had made up assemblies to allow one Anderson plug to be joined to two further plugs - so that you could wire up say 2 solar panels (that you only use when the sun is in the right position etc say panels you attach to the stanchions).

Jonathan

alan_d

Visit site
I have used these connectors over the years, very useful, but as fredrussel #2 points out they aren't waterproof, Didn't know they were called Anderson plugs.
They were supplied with the portable 12 volt winch I use for pulling my tender up the beach on its trolley. They may not technically be waterproof but they certainly work in heavy rain.