Anderson 30

jamesjermain

Visit site
It's a heavy duty, heavy displacement cruiser built by Western Yachts to an Ian Anderson design of 1977. Only a limited number were built during a five year production run.

The rig was heavily genoa biased and, in general, the boat was a bit old fashioned for its time. The accommodation has berths for six. She is a safe and reliable coastal and offshore cruiser semi-custom built to a high standard.

boatmike

Visit site
Pretty much the same as the Hurley 30 I think. I used to have one. It was a nice enough boat but tended to be heavy on the helm. The trick to making them sail well is to always have the forestay bar tight and move the mast step as far forward as possible. There were also one or two home built ones around when I had mine and one of them had lead shot encapsulated ballast. Not enough weight in the keel made it very tender. I think those built by Hurleys used a solid lead ingot dropped in and encapsulated. If you can, go for a sail in any prospective buy. If it goes to windward OK in a F6 without being over on its Gunwales with the decks awash and you can hang on to the tiller without a gorilla to help it's a goodun. ( I fitted wheel steering on mine) Oh and by the way the engine is offset with the prop pointing out to port so under engine (and there were a lot of them with only 12HP Yanmar twin cylinder things which is a bit small) they only want to turn to port and the prop walk in reverse is incredible! Also the cockpit sole engine cover on mine used to leak like a sieve until I modified it. Apart from that they are good little boats!

bobgoode

Visit site
The Anderson is a later version of the Hurley 30. Fantastic boats..roomy , you wont believe. Heavy yes but safe and very stable and reassuring in a blow...6's and 7s. Mine, "Claren", was a London boat show model with a straight through prop shaft and hydraulic drive..ab. fab.
You need 20 horses for decent performance under engine.
Very predictable handling...go for it.