And so the hunt begins

shan

Visit site
I'm about to head down to the local estate agent to sign the offer on my flat here in Portugal, and so the hunt for a replacement for Stingo begins.

I cannot wait to become a sea gypsy again
Why not search in Europe? What is your budget?

Frogmogman

Visit site
I get the impression that boats are often cheaper in the Caribbean.

You could buy a cut price boat out there, sail it around the Caribbean for a season or two. When you return to Europe, make your first stop in Malta where the VAT rate is 18% and pay the vat there.

Stingo

Visit site
I get the impression that boats are often cheaper in the Caribbean.

You could buy a cut price boat out there, sail it around the Caribbean for a season or two. When you return to Europe, make your first stop in Malta where the VAT rate is 18% and pay the vat there.
I beg to differ on that. I think prices in the EU are significantly cheaper than in the Crabby-Ian

srm

Visit site
When you return to Europe, make your first stop in Malta where the VAT rate is 18% and pay the vat there.
Why go all that far in order to pay more than needed? Azores is a traditional stopping off point for those heading east towards Europe and (as pointed out earlier in this thread) the top VAT rate currently is 16%.

Frogmogman

Visit site
Why go all that far in order to pay more than needed? Azores is a traditional stopping off point for those heading east towards Europe and (as pointed out earlier in this thread) the top VAT rate currently is 16%.
There you go. I thought Malta had the lowest VAT rate in Europe.

Mind you, if you’re not averse to some creative accounting there are schemes in Malta where you can pay a much lower VAT rate, but I suspect only viable on very expensive boats.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
There you go. I thought Malta had the lowest VAT rate in Europe.

Mind you, if you’re not averse to some creative accounting there are schemes in Malta where you can pay a much lower VAT rate, but I suspect only viable on very expensive boats.

The EU have tightened up on those schemes now. Not interesting anymore.
If coming across the Atlantic, the the Azores is by far the cheapest route to do it.

You probably have more to gain by haggling over the boat's value rather than choosing a country where the VAT rate is 1-2% less than somewhere else.

If the boat has come across the Atlantic, then there is of course a huge amount of wear and tear which the boat never had in the calm waters of the Carribean.
The sails will need completely knackered, the mast and rigging too, and of course the keel will have been subject to extraordinary forces and need repair, etc, etc,
The boat is worth a small fraction of its value when it started out. Particularly if you don't clean it up before the inspection!

My boat was imported from Canada to Cowes. It was brand new and had just been launched in Canada. The Atlantic crossing was its first real outing.
HMRC accepted a valuation of half the build cost.

Minerva

Visit site
Stingo - Have you thought about an Anderson 22? I know you want a catamaran, but for a modest budget, you could buy two Anderson 22's lash them together with some high modulus carbon fibre lampposts and wayhay!

What's the only boat better than an Anderson 22? A CatAnderson 22?? You'll be winning the Transat Jaques Vabre outright by this time next year! Be the envy of all the Anchorage! Have Ben Ainsley pestering you to skipper your boat in a squllion pound regatta!

What's not to love?

dslittle

Visit site
You can’t possibly choose a boat on your own. That is against forum rules.

The required stages are
1) You post on here some partial/incomplete requirements (without mentioning any budget)
2) we then
a) criticise your requirements and tell you what they should be; and / or
b) recommend you can only buy the boat we prefer, doesn’t match any of your requirements and is wildly over your budget
3) You as original poster despair and never return to the thread - or forum
4) You buy another flat instead

That is how the forum process is supposed to work
You forgot the anchor choice!!!

shan

Visit site
And so the hunt has ended.

Mr fussy-catamaran-fan will be paying the deposit on a Moody monomaran later today.

Geez, my standards have slipped. Oh well, never mind. At least I'll be afloat again by the end of January
You'll be pleased to be afloat and there's lots you can do to make it more comfortable.

Zing

Visit site
And so the hunt has ended.

Mr fussy-catamaran-fan will be paying the deposit on a Moody monomaran later today.

Geez, my standards have slipped. Oh well, never mind. At least I'll be afloat again by the end of January
Great. It's so much more important being afloat than not being afloat and waiting for your dream boat. Moody is a great maker. I nearly bought one once. Get a flopper stopper if the rolling is bad, which is the main downside of monohulls.

I'm signing today on a new mono too, I think... and cats were short listed. I'm not stuck on the issue.