Anchoring north of Zakinthos?

SamanthaTabs

Visit site
Seeing as how you truly helped me with the taxi question, I'm throwing another line out..

A cousin and her girls arrive in Zakinthos next week on a package holiday. We'd like to have them onboard for a couple of nights but need to start heading north as middle daughter will already be with us and she's leaving us from Ay Eufimia so want to go in the right direction (does that make sense? Think so...)

The question is can anyone tell me anything about Alykanas or Alikou from an anchoring perspective? Or anywhere else you could recommend. Also, being the amazing cousin I am, I'm planning to let them make their own way back to their hotel.. Public transport or taxi?

Many thanks in advance and, again, thanks for the taxi advice as that's now sorted :)

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
A few years we've been there Samantha, but I recall that we anchored for an odd night at Agios Nikolios (or something like that, near the NE tip of the island) and also spent a couple of nights on the quay there too - as I recall the anchorage had a bit of current that swirled about and the quay was a bugger to get on/off during the afternoon blow, but otherwise fine. Not somewhere I'd go to if anything big/easterly was heading into the 1-onion, but in 'normal' conditions, a very pleasant spot; go see the eroded shoreline just No of the harbour, it's spectacular.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Sam we stopped at Agios Nikolios a few times there a bit of an island and we normaly anchor off that tucked in , the Quay ok but has Bob say it can be a bugger at time to get of if the wind right ,
Don't take the taverna up on us mooring , we did one year and I happened to take a look and found the rope was on a small rock , nearly died . If you anchor in the middle by the small buoys keep well in has a ferry swing around there .

SamanthaTabs

Visit site
Many thanks to you both, it's a swine all round. Daughter here 28th so off to turtle bay we be. Cousin and kids arrive 30th in Zante..want to see them but, as I said, need/want to head north to maximise brilliant time with daughter without right direction / wrong direction stupidity... Families eh :confused:

No idyllic spots around there then that are safe etc?

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
...Daughter here...off to turtle bay we be.... Cousin and kids arrive 30th in Zante...confused...

By 'turtle bay' I presume you mean the one (can't remember the name) on the bottom of Cephalonia? If the cousins are really keen, there were regular ferries from Zakinthos to Argostoli and there may even be some to that harbour on the SE corner of Cephalonia - can't remember its name either.

SamanthaTabs

Visit site
By 'turtle bay' I presume you mean the one (can't remember the name) on the bottom of Cephalonia? If the cousins are really keen, there were regular ferries from Zakinthos to Argostoli and there may even be some to that harbour on the SE corner of Cephalonia - can't remember its name either.

Ormos Keri, South /slightly west bottom tip of Zakinthos, looking forward to that! Have been very clear with family, this is the option - take or leave it! (I'm soft and cuddly really...)

Will look into ferries, many thanks :)

Davy_S

Visit site
The ferry goes from Zakinthos to Pessada, Kefalonia.http://www.kefalonia-information.com/ferries/timetable/zakynthos-kefalonia.php?language=en
http://www.ionionpelagos.com/en/content/112

Last edited:

grafozz

Visit site
I live close to the ferry port in Kefalonia ( Pessada) and could pick you up if you like ?

the ferry runs between St Nicholas / Zakynthos , on the ne corner, to Pessada , sw Kefalonia .
st nics can be rolly during the night if strong nw winds have been blowing , but as said , earlier anchor behind the island .
It is about 40 ft deep though and not good if the nw wind is blowing hard .
Port Vromi on the nw tip is a very well protected anchorage , just by the small island , take a locals bouy if theres one free , the fishermen a dont mind
as it saves you picking up their cross bay lines with your anchor .( about 5m down )
there are also white pegs placed into the north side of the bay which have been put there for stern lines ashore .
its a beautiful spot , especially on a full moon !

SamanthaTabs

Visit site
Thank you grafozz, that's such a kind offer! Haven't heard back from family yet but they'll be leaving us to get back to their hotel in Zante and we're going up north.

Grateful for everyone's answers, many thanks :)

rolfbudd

Visit site
We anchored of Alikes to suprise friends and it was very nice till the wind picked up so we couldn't get our friends back to shore, so we ran round the corner to Zykinthos town.

Carmel2

Visit site
Can you free anchor at Zakinthos town? There seem to be conflicting reports as to whether it's prohibited within the harbour or not. What about outside the harbour to the north? It looks like it should be ok but no one seems to mention it.

SamanthaTabs

Visit site
Can you free anchor at Zakinthos town? There seem to be conflicting reports as to whether it's prohibited within the harbour or not. What about outside the harbour to the north? It looks like it should be ok but no one seems to mention it.

Am I the only person who wants to squish the insect on your page? :confused:

We're headed there tomorrow so I'll post what we find. Picking daughter up isn't the issue, it's finding somewhere nice to anchor for a night or two with the cousins. Most things we've read don't paint that part of the Ionian terribly favourably. Hoping that's not the case.

Thanks again for your help folks :)

sailaboutvic

Visit site
People do anchor in side the harbour just near the ferry port , but it is very shollow , , I would just go on the wall and if the guy turn up just tell him you going to deal with the mooring fees your self , be warned the quay by the road can be very noise with traffic

Carmel2

Visit site
Thanks for the tips. We probably will go on the wall for a day or two but were hoping to anchor for the night as will probably arrive reasonably late, and then go in the following day. The harbour doesn't sound like an option, so unless outside just to the north is ok guess we will go straight to the quay.

Max K

N/A
Visit site
Thanks for the tips. We probably will go on the wall for a day or two but were hoping to anchor for the night as will probably arrive reasonably late, and then go in the following day. The harbour doesn't sound like an option, so unless outside just to the north is ok guess we will go straight to the quay.

Due to a water tank leak we will be joining you the day after tomorrow. On previous trips we have anchored inside the harbour but well clear of the ferry turning circles or "gone to the wall"! Will decide what to do when we get there.

Max.

Max K

N/A
Visit site
Am I the only person who wants to squish the insect on your page? :confused:

We're headed there tomorrow so I'll post what we find. Picking daughter up isn't the issue, it's finding somewhere nice to anchor for a night or two with the cousins. Most things we've read don't paint that part of the Ionian terribly favourably. Hoping that's not the case.

Thanks again for your help folks :)

That is because it is outside of the delightful Disneyland that is the "Inland Sea".

In Agia Efemia,

Max.