Anchoring in Spain

Sta

Visit site
I read on Noonsite.com that it's necessary to ask for permission to anchor in Spain. You have to call the local Capitain, but where do I find phone number to them? E-mail would be great, if they reply to that. It seems like if in some areas they are very strict, in others they don't care. It depends on who is in charge of the office.
I'm especially interested in the Baleares since they are more strict there due to vulnerable bottom. What I understand, all anchoring is forbidden in the areas they have marked colorful on the maps you find on this page: Cartography of Posidonia oceanica in marine SCIs of the Balearic Islands Is that correct?

jeanne

Visit site
Sorry! Finger trouble. I agree with Graham, I have never been challenged, but we are on the Atlantic coast of Spain, and it may be different in the med.
I have heard that the problem there is that all the sheltered spots with good holding are off beaches, and so are 'coned off' with yellow buoys for the safety of swimmers. As far as asking for permission, I have feeling that it may be the same as radioing a marina for a berth, where the answer is probably going to be 'no': it is easier to just turn up.

Yngmar

Visit site
In Galicia there's hardly any officials around outside of A Coruna. Extremely unlikely to be a problem there. We got told off by hotel staff for landing on a deserted private beach once.

Costa del Sol doesn't really have much anchoring, but the few places nobody bothered us either, including the Mar Menor and we even anchored inside the abandoned marina construction site outside.

Baleares has tons of boats anchoring, but you have to watch the Posidonia grass. Patrol boats were going around in summer and chasing off boats who dropped their hook in the grass in many places. Just find a patch of sand and they give you the thumbs up. Only saw one get fined and it almost certainly was because they chose to argue with the authorities instead of apologizing and moving.

Cordoned off swim areas you must avoid, there will be a big fine if you or your tender are inside of them. Some of them have a beach access channel marked with red and green marks, which you can use for landing a tender (or launch a jetski or other murder toy from the beach).

If there are problems with a local authority in one area, you'll probably find it on the comments in Navily, Navionics or NoForeignLand. Always good to check those anyways for other tips (swell, sewage, jellyfish, good tavernas, bad tavernas, noisy nightclubs, etc.)

Sta

Visit site
Except Baleares it seems like if it's not necessary to worry about it if there are noe signs or notes in the chart.
One place I wonder about in particular is La Linea at Gibraltar. In some places they say it's legal to anchor north of Alcaidesa Marina, but in some sources they say it's not. Anyone with updated knowledge about this?

goeasy123

Visit site
Where on Noonsite does it say you need permission? There's only an entry made in 2012 that mentions specific areas in the Canary Islands.

There are not many, if any Posidonia police about now. They would have very little to do as there's now a handy dandy app the maps the position of the grass to the meter. As to sail across it it lets you know when you're safe to drop your anchor.

The bay at La Linea is rarely without anchored boats. The police patrol at least twice a day and I've never seen them on an anchored yacht.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Except Baleares it seems like if it's not necessary to worry about it if there are noe signs or notes in the chart.
One place I wonder about in particular is La Linea at Gibraltar. In some places they say it's legal to anchor north of Alcaidesa Marina, but in some sources they say it's not. Anyone with updated knowledge about this?

They stopped people from anchoring behind the breakwater quite a few years ago but we've anchored off the beach several times except when they're dredging for shellfish, IIRC in August. Draw a line from the end of the breakwater to the sailing club entrance and anchor north of that. To go ashore, dinghy into sailing club for €5/day, it may be nicked if you leave it on the beach.

Sta

Visit site
Where on Noonsite does it say you need permission? There's only an entry made in 2012 that mentions specific areas in the Canary Islands.

There are not many, if any Posidonia police about now. They would have very little to do as there's now a handy dandy app the maps the position of the grass to the meter. As to sail across it it lets you know when you're safe to drop your anchor.

The bay at La Linea is rarely without anchored boats. The police patrol at least twice a day and I've never seen them on an anchored yacht.

Thanks for the advice with the app. I think that would be good in other places with vulnerable life on the bottom.
I see now that it was an old report on Noonsite.

WindyWindyWindy

Visit site
According to the RCC pilot book, Portugal requires prior agreement for anchoring, but I've anchored there with no problems.
Maybe iberian confusion?

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Only place I know requiring permission is Islas Cies where you need a (free) permit and must advise of date of visit in advance.