Anchoring in Poole Harbour

CaptainChaos

Visit site
Does anyone know the rules for anchoring in Poole Harbour. Specifically, what bye-laws or regulations limit the time boats are allowed to swing to their own ground tackle?

Any info/personal experiences gratefully received.

CC

<hr width=100% size=1>

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Poole Harbour Byelaw #11
Any vessel within the Harbour shall ensure they anchor so as not to obstruct the fairway.

So to the best of my knowlage, no time limit.

Some favored areas are Newton Bay, Shipstal Pt. and just off Wareham Ch.

<hr width=100% size=1>
ladybug_zigzag_md_wht.gif

Sailorbuoy

Visit site
You could be asked for Harbour dues, but it is very unlikely that anyone will bother you. Pottery pier, South Deep, approach Wareham Channel not forgetting Studland Bayare good spots. (marina at Parkstone Yacht Club when you need one)

<hr width=100% size=1>Sailorbuoy

duncan

Visit site
if you are onboard I don't think you have a problem. So many choices most move around a little but we often see boats in the same place for a few days at a time. The real problem is that anywhere not obstructing the fairways, and not going to go aground at low tide, is a reasonable distance from a landing area/civilisation.
Blood Alley, Furzy area and Long Island are favorites because you stand a reasonable chance of not being rocked by boat wakes - they are quiet zones. Anywhere in The Wareham channel down through to the Harbour entrance will be a rough night from boat wakes - many people that have trot moorings go elsewhere to overnight in peace.

<hr width=100% size=1>