Anchorages in Chicester Harbour

FairweatherDave

Visit site
18 yr old thread but fun (or not) for some. In Chichester looking for shelter I would look for a vacant mooring.....chances are it will remain free all night. Obviously recognise you might need to move but often people leave a tender on their mooring if returning from a shorter trip. Itchenor reach is good for this. We also anchor off Old Park Woods just north west of the entrance to Chichester marina "Old Harry's spot" and Birdham, depending on wind direction. But Pilsey is good and people occasionally anchor at the entrance to Mill Rythe just before the moorings start. East head is great too depending on wind forecast, and if its a hot weekend.

mogmog2

www.spidery.force9.co.uk
Yes, I was aware it was a while ago but I hadn't done the maths. The principle is the same though, even if the exact location of the mud is different as well. It also doesn't much matter if Old Harry is still sailing either, as I think there are still people sailing in Chichester harbour. And people still tead old or ancient posts, as evidenced by yourselves. That is the benefit of an old school forum over the conveyor belt of nowness that is social media.

mogmog2

www.spidery.force9.co.uk
If I want a quiet night hiding from bad weather, I'd be tempted to go up to the Emsworth visitors' pontoon. East head can get surprisingly bumpy in a strong westerly.
We were hoping not to have to go that far... We briefly entertained Itchenor pontoon but the trouble with pontoons is that the lines make noises and other boats' halyards slap and all the rigging whistles etc etc - much prefer to anchor in solitude. In the end we took a punt on Pilsey and the night was calm - the forecast 15-18kt NW-N didn't materialise.