Anchor Choice

coachone

Visit site
I am buying a fairly light displacement 38 foot yacht and have specified a 35kg CQR c/w an all chain rode.
I intend to cruise in the English Chanel for the next few years.
What sort , and weight, of second anchor would forumeers reccomend. All chain or rope/chain combination?
Some of the anchors that have come out well in tests seem pretty expensive.
What about a "Bruce" copy?

G

I am unfamiliar with your seabeddings in the English Channel. But seem to remember a PBO anchor test of july 02. It did not reccommend the CQR at all. At least not in firm, sandy conditions.

Would you consider the test winners, the Spade or the Bruce? 20 kg?

Ohdrat

Visit site
Bruces have been known to drag badly.. I would go for a plough and if anchoring a lot I would go for a heavier than 35lb more like 45lb.. I would also have a back up anchor of a fortress type (10lb) which is light but has excellent holding qualities.

I am allowing a safety margin in my guesstimates for windage which is often forgotten.

I generally feel that going up a size in anchors is a good idea as it gives you a bigger safety margin and therefore greater peace of mind.

coachone

Visit site
Please take the choice of the CQR ,as the main bower anchor, as a given...for one thing it is the only type that will self stow effectively in the fairlead.The weight is 35 KG [not pounds!]
What I want is advice on a secondary anchor, do you think it should have different qualities.... ie hold better in seabed conditions where the CQR may be found wanting or go for a slightly smaller plough type?

jimi

Visit site
I've found a Brittany anchor very effective in the Med, even withouth too much chain. They're easy to stow as well.

AndrewB

Visit site
35Kg?? Are you sure?

On a light displacement 38 footer, that is as much too heavy as 35lbs is light. I don't think CQR's are made at that weight. But if you do have one, its only use is as an emergency 'hurricane' anchor as it is far too heavy for foredeck stowage or lugging about in the normal way.

I'd go with Ohdrat's suggestions for English Channel use (maybe a slightly bigger Fortress). This is a good combination if you want one anchor to leave the yacht on when going ashore or sleeping overnight, and a lighter anchor for racing/picnicing. This is specially true if you don't have a windlass, as a 45lbs anchor on all chain is going to be a swine to get up.

If you just carry one anchor and you do not expect to leave the yacht ling to it except briefly, then a 35lbs CQR alone would be adequate.

Another approach would be two anchors of roughly similar size. Used together, these will increase your holding power if you do ever face that 'disabled on a lee shore' situation. They will permit a 'Bahamian' moor in tight tideways, or one can be used a stern anchor for bows-to mooring (unusual though around the Channel). But with say a 45lbs and 35 lbs anchor on all chain, a decent windlass is a must.

I like all chain around the Channel as it allows you to anchor on a reasonably short scope, useful in narrow tideways on the East Coast or the tight anchorages of the Solent.

For my money the CQR is a good all-round anchor, not the best on any one surface (specially fine sand) but useful everywhere. With the tip kept fairly sharp I find it penetrates weed when other types don't.

Magic_Sailor

Visit site
Coachone

Funnily enough, we're just looking at getting some extra anchors. So maybe this will help.

I already have a Bruce with 10m chain and 20m rode.

I'm going to get a CQR with 10m chain 20m rode as a 2nd anchor. This allows for different holding situations and setting 2 anchors where necessary.

I'm also going to get a Danforth as a kedge/last resort job. Light and easy flat stowage. Ive got a lot of rope on board so would attach this if and when needed.

Magic

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://hometown.aol.co.uk/geoffwestgarth/myhomepage/travelwriting.html>Click for website!</A>

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
It would appear from recent threads that CQR and Danforth are yesterday’s technology in the anchor world.
The <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.spade-anchor.com/> Spade </A> seems to be the anchor of the moment, no self-respecting bow should be seen without one.

jeanne

Visit site
I have a CQR of about 35 kg, and slept swinging to it for two years in a ten ton displacement yacht on an Atlantic circuit, and I will always recommend it. If you arrive in a strange place when you are tired, you don't want to fiddle about with 'which anchor is best for this bottom', or laying out multiple anchors, you want to drop something that you know will work immediately, in all winds that may blow, and go to sleep. There is no substitute for weight. It will penetrate weed and hard bottoms, and because it sets quickly instead of dragging around looking for a bit of good holding, it is less likely to foul something on the bottom.
On the subject of second anchors, I offer the following unscientific advice. On Iris Mary the anchors have names related to their ability to help you go to sleep. The 30lb danforth is Cocoa, the 25 lb. Fisherman is Brandy, the 50lb fisherman is Double Brandy, and the big CQR is Mogadon.

graham

Visit site
As a first anchor the Bruce is excellent and has served me well in sand and mud but the only place it will stow tidily is on the stemhead or on specially made deck fittings.

so personally I would go for a stow flat type for a second anchor such as a Danforth or one of the modern copies.

I have also had good service from cqr anchors and agree that weight is the biggest consideration when the chips are down.

gunnarsilins

www.eilean.se
Regarding Spade!

It might be 'the anchor of the moment' but at least here in Sweden the price for a Spade is twice as much as for the original CQR of similar weight, or a Delta or Bruce.

As I´m looking for an anchor for my boat in the region 30 + kgs I must admit; I simply cannot afford a Spade!

I agree that the inventors need to get some profit out of their R&D, but when taking a closer look on the quite simple design and the fact that the anchor is made in a country with very low labour costs, I regard it as ridiculous expensive!

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Tradition states that a Danforth (or similar style) anchor is the back-up, though mainly, I suspect, because they stow flat, and can be carried in a locker without turning it into an absolute mare's nest.

Must say I applaud your choice of a CQR as the main anchor (it may not be the best for each individual type of seabed, but it's probably second best for most, and it's has been the anchor of first choice for the majority of boats for a very long time). But 35kg is a huge lump to handle and to hang off the bow of a light displacement boat, especially with the chain that you're putting with it. Whilst I appreciate you might sometimes want the ultimate security of a lot of weight on the bottom, why not use something lighter but totally adequate(and much easier to handle) for your everyday anchor, and keep the weapon of mass destruction tucked away for really windy nights?

Incidentally, the one sort of seabed that none of the 'patent' anchors like is rocks. A traditional fisherman style anchor is not expensive, stows flat, and is good insurance if you ever need to put a pick into a rocky bottom. Add a tripping line, or course.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Magic - how do you get away with so little chain and rode?? I would have thought 50 mtr was the bare minimum. If anchoring in 15 mtrs of water, you would need at least 45 (3 x ) to 60 mtrs. 10 meters of chain may leave too much rope on the bottom to fray on rocks.(IMHO)

Spacewaist

blog.mailasail.com
Where\'s Hylas?

Been plenty of threads on this subject - try a search.

I have a 65lb CQR as the bower on a 14 tonnes laden yacht and a Fortress (28?) as a second anchor. Never really had trouble with the CQR except on grassy weed.

On previous threads a Frenchman called "Hylas" has weighed in with all sorts of data. He's either designed or markets a new anchor and is very pleased with himself. It may be the Spade I cant recall. Try a PM.

A pontification from the Panjandrum of orotund bloviation AD2002

billmacfarlane

Visit site
Are you sure about the 35 kg ? Most light/medium displacement boats of your size would use a 35 lb/17 kg anchor , which would be more than adequate especially since you've got an all chain rode. My second anchor is a lightweight Fortress job. I carry on board 2/4/6 lenghths of chain in order to use it in tandem with my main anchor - a 17kg Bruce.

snowleopard

Visit site
long-term cruisers say that cqr and danforth are prone to wear in the hinge over time and the change of angle can affect the holding. the delta is a very similar shape to the cqr for stowing and gives significantly better holding power (around 50%).

re. weight, i have used a 15kg (35lb) delta for a long time on my 40 ft cat (loads of windage) and it's held in everything except very soft mud for which i believe the fortress is the only answer. 35kg sounds like massive overkill, suitable for boats of over 50 ft!