Amsterdam to Vlissingen

EdWingfield

Visit site
I did it 4 weeks ago. You have two choices: 1. the midnite convoy through Amsterdam ( and little sleep at far end as motorway bridge opens at 0500. It is tiring but a great experience. 2. via Haarlem which is lovely.

At Alphen aan de Rijn the replacement bridge deck was not yet replaced. But further on my travels I saw what I assume is the replacement. I don't know when it is programmed to happen. But it will cause a closure.

Once through Alphen it is plain sailing all the way to Vlissingen. I found a nice anchorage away from the barge traffic in Krabben Kreek.

Waterways E of Rotterdam gave me my first nervous breakdown - crazy with traffic!

It took me ages to complete the trip as a tourist. I don't know how many days you'd do it if you kept at it.

ps. the midnite convoy is a 'bucket list' job.

EdWingfield

Visit site
Johnalison, I've got a Dad still sailing a dinghy at age 92! Old fogie is not an option for me. I've got plenty of snooze time in my future (hopefully)

When I went through a superyacht with 11 crew, security guard and tug was with us. Superyacht was just returning to yard from sea trials. The skipper respectfully asked all yotties to remain behind him, which we of course did.

I was warned against doing it because 'Ed, you don't do that, they are all pi$$ed, they have been on the pop since arrival at 18.00.' Myth or real, we all got through without mishap and cooperation from each other.

johnalison

Visit site
I admit that it was great fun at the time, and chugging through the dawn while looking down at Schipol is a curious experience. The last time, we went through in company with a club mate and it became a matter of pride to lead the convoy at the bridges all the way. We managed this, which was quite an achievement, given the nature of the Dutch character. I'm still going to do Haarlem this year instead, even though I'm only 76.

nauticalnomad

Visit site
Just arrived at Middleburg yacht club having left Sint Annaland this afternoon enroute to Greece..
Leaving early morning.
The 1 bridge and 2 locks we went through were working.. A few boats about as well Belgiumese coming in and Dutchies going out..

aluijten

Visit site
Just arrived at Middleburg yacht club having left Sint Annaland this afternoon enroute to Greece..
Leaving early morning.
The 1 bridge and 2 locks we went through were working.. A few boats about as well Belgiumese coming in and Dutchies going out..

Next week or so the bridge at Middelburg will be quite restricted. No openings during office hours due to painting. One opening during lunch time.

michael_w

Visit site
Next week or so the bridge at Middelburg will be quite restricted. No openings during office hours due to painting. One opening during lunch time.

Any chance of the full details please? I'm thinking of going to Middelburg next week.

aluijten

Visit site
Any chance of the full details please? I'm thinking of going to Middelburg next week.

Google Translated:

Trip to Flushing

FYI: the Walcheren canal (Veere - Middelburg - Vlissingen) is completely obstructed from Monday, May 23 7:15 t / m Saturday, May 28th 12:20 pm.
Limited operation of Monday, May 30 t / m Thursday, June 16th to Monday / Thursday.

https://www.zeeland.nl/actueel/opknapbeurt-voor-schroebrug-en-keersluisbrug:
Custom Control bridges during work
During the work on the Schroebrug and Keersluisbrug ships to the bridges in the Walcheren canal not pass if they are inconvenienced.
From Monday, May 23 at 7:15 pm until Saturday, May 28th at 12.20 pm the bridges on the channel are not controlled by Walcheren for shipping.
From Monday, May 30 until Thursday, June 16, 2016 are Monday / Thursday regular bridge openings Schroebrug between 16:12 am and 7:42 pm.
In addition, on this day a bridge opening at 12.12 pm. On Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays there are no restrictions.
The operation of the Keersluisbrug and the other bridges in the channel is tuned by Walcheren on the operating times of the Schroebrug.

nauticalnomad

Visit site
The last bridge before the lock out to the sea at Flushing had a mess up..
The bridge lifted the lights stayed red and the dutch guy shouts in Dutch at us (about 5 boats going in/out) "What are we doing"...
We were hovering waiting for a green light and then next minute the bridge lowers..
the idiot didnt change the lights to green and then shuts the bridge down. We had to sit it out another 45 minutes till it opened again.
Dont know what he had been doing but there were 2 of us exiting and 3 waiting to come in and we are all looking at each other and the bridge starts coming back down..