Amlwch Harbour and sail boats

Marceline

Visit site
Does the lovely sheltered harbour of Amlwch at the top of Anglesey allow sailboats to visit/be based there ?

We visited a couple of weeks ago by car and it was mostly a fishing fleet and other motor boats with a couple of older looking bilge keel sailboats drying out at the top end (look like they've been there a while), but there weren't any sailboats in the main harbour.

Mister E

Visit site
I called in there for one night before covid.
There was no Harbour Master as no one applied for the job.
Do not stop near the Harbour office as there a large rocks there. It is a drying Harbour as you say mostly used by fishing boats. I was directed to an empty spot to tie up to that was next to a ladder.
Generally quite but a big que for the chip shop.

Skylark

Visit site
I've not been there for many years but once upon a time it was a regular stop. I recall the ladders being a bit of a challenge. I once witnessed a crew member on a nearby boat losing his footings on the harbour wall fendering, falling overboard. Not a place for the feint of heart. The reward, however, was a visit to The Liverpool Arms. For a few pounds, the pub allowed visitors to use a shower facility, they were also happy to let punters eat their fish and chips, bought from the nearby chippy.

This was late 1990s so probably irrelevant now, but it's nice to reminisce old, fond memories.

Perhaps more usefully, @Marceline try giving the HM a call:-

Ports.org.uk / Amlwch

(hope you're both well ⛵)

KompetentKrew

Visit site
Covered by Imray's Hidden Harbours of Wales book, although 2011 appears to be the latest edition.

that book said:
The entrance is simple between the new breakwaters once the entrance has been seen. The inner harbour dries and mooring there is alongside rough stone walls. It may be possible to find a temporary mooring in the pens but these are mainly occupied by fishing boats

It gives contact details of www.anglesey.gov.uk, which seems unhelpful, but also: Maritime officer ✆01407 831065

tyce

Visit site
I was there a couple of years ago, went against the NE wall, well fendered, there can be quite a roll comes in if any swell outside, lovely place to stay and lots of bass and mackerel to catch in the harbour if that's your kind of thing. I ended up on the Lloyds TSB advert when I was there as they were filming it there at the time.

ridgy

Visit site
Not t been for years but be aware that it is an active fishing port and the first pen was better as the fishing boats seemed to prefer the second pen and will raft on to you if no other space. Very noisy at 4am.