Americas Cup on TV

RAI

Visit site
Isnt it 2-1 with the winner being the first to 5? 3 more races tomorrow? Or am I missing something - like a day? :)
You are right. The LV App just inserted three more races for the 11th, today, and three more for Monday 12th. It had me fooled as their schedule yesterday did not include them. I should have looked at the pdf file.

garvellachs

Visit site
BBC2 at 1400 today I think, one day in arrears. I watched yesterday; not so good coverage as BTSport but adequate with about half the race time maybe. Artemis and ETNZ are closely-matched when Artemis keep their cool, despite very different set-ups.

Can anyone explain why Softbank were penalised in that mark rounding against Artemis though? Artemis came in at speed on port, Softbank went wide on Starboard, Artemis tacked inside and poor old Softbank get done. I don't think we'd get away with that, racing round the cans?

RAI

Visit site
Can anyone explain why Softbank were penalised in that mark rounding against Artemis though? Artemis came in at speed on port, Softbank went wide on Starboard, Artemis tacked inside and poor old Softbank get done. I don't think we'd get away with that, racing round the cans?
My understanding is that they have a special rule that the first boat to get into that circle they show around the buoys has the right of way. The same sort of rule applies at the boundaries, where, within a certain distance, a vessel may tack/gybe away from the boundary and has right of way to do it.
Sweden got into the circle first, so Japan was supposed to give him water.

Last edited:

flaming

Visit site
Can anyone tell me why the boats sail with such an apparent bows-down trim ?

Boo2

As I understand it....

The rules limit them to how much rudder foil adjustment they can have and apparently it is not enough to have level flight both upwind and down.

Therefore the teams prefer to trim slightly bows down when going downwind in order to be level going upwind. That's better than being bows up, as a kiss of the bow in the water is likely to be a lot less costly than a weelie...

Triassic

Visit site
Can anyone tell me why the boats sail with such an apparent bows-down trim ?

Boo2

I also understood it was something to do with the aerodynamics, with 50 knots plus of apparent wind going over the boats having a nose down attitude produced less drag.

bbg

Visit site
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it on this thread, but the AC website is not very informative. They show two scheduled races per day for the final, but no mention of how many races either team needs to win!
It shows a total of eight races scheduled for the final. No more. No "if necessary" races. Useless.

RAI

Visit site
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it on this thread, but the AC website is not very informative. They show two scheduled races per day for the final, but no mention of how many races either team needs to win!
It shows a total of eight races scheduled for the final. No more. No "if necessary" races. Useless.
I installed the LV App on my phone, it had me completely fooled over the SWE/NZL matches, as only the first three races were scheduled on the day of those races, it implied best of three. The following day, six more races were scheduled. Just one of its strange features.

lw395

Visit site
The AC website is complete toilet.
It's almost as if a very big software company was involved.....

Karearea

Visit site
I'm reviving this as we're still involved and looking good.
We've found the UK Telegraph website very good for quick results and comment.
Not expecting a repeat of San Francisco this time!
Keeping in touch with cup racing from Stockholm and UK.
Let's win the Auld Mug back for Auckland and the British Commonwealth!

dunedin

Visit site
Well done NZL - you're boat handling was exceptional and your designers were the most innovative - fully deserved to win.

Big +1. Brilliant job NZ.

Quite how such a small nation manages to do so amazingly well (compared to all but especially compared to UK) in such complex and expensive sports is quite incredible. Another great AC win for team NZ.

lw395

Visit site
Well done NZL - you're boat handling was exceptional and your designers were the most innovative - fully deserved to win.

Turning the boat over was certainly an exception!
I can't say I've watched very much of the regatta this time.
Pleased for NZ. It will be interesting to see if they change the rules much for next time?