Am Cup: thrilling or boring?

G

There is now a realistic chance of the next America's Cup matches being sailed on the coast of Europe. Is this the most important yachting news of the year or a total bore? Discuss!

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
saw race oneand thought it was ace coverage even though it weren't a race after 12mins or so.
race 2 sounded brill.
i have to say i really wish i had sky
i would ask someone to video it for me but i donot have a video either
am going to get a dvd player when village shop hires dvds.

</font color=red>Ok brain let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

AndrewB

Visit site
Race 2 was great.

Watched race 2 (on French TV), and yes, it was exciting. The tactics and upwind coverage by Team NZ on the next to last leg was terrific and a pleasure to follow.

But even with the super high tech diagrams of the race commentary, I couldn't understand how Alhingi managed to claw quite so much back and overtake downwind on the final leg. No bad gybes from either boat, no fliers. Explanations?

Visit site
Surely the chance of the America's cup coming back to Europe after all this time has got to be one of the most exciting things to happen to yachting for years!?

I would never have bothered travelling either to the states or down under to watch it but will definitely go and see it next time round, wherever it ends up, rumour here says either France (Marseille), Spain (Barcelona or Mallorca) or least likely Italy (Sardinia)

bedouin

Visit site
Well - the AC final itself is thrilling sailing. Two closely matched boats fighting it out.

I am also excited about the prospect of it coming to Europe. That is bound to give the European boats a better chance and let's hope that it encourages more media interest than this campaign has generated

Spacewaist

blog.mailasail.com
Re: Race 2 was great.

He found a stronger breeze..... or so the papers said.

A pontification from the Panjandrum of orotund bloviation AD2002<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Spacewaist on 18/02/2003 13:07 (server time).</FONT></P>

coachone

Visit site

Team NZ had the wrong asymetric spinnaker up, it was slightly fuller than Alingi so not as suited to the lighter conditions and then it came to the luffing match could not match Alingi's height...allowing Alingi to roll them to windward and then gybe onto starboard.

davidhand

Visit site
I think sailing the A.C. cup in Europe would be an absolute kick in the pants, but where? in the Med or on the Atlantic. I think I would vote for the Med coast of France if the wind is good enough, the French public do seem to have a greater appreciation of sailing than most other countries. However don't you think the format needs revising? It would seem that the present arangement favours the challenger, having just had a hard fought series in which to tune their boats. Why not just have one series in which the challenger gets tossed in with all the rest, just as in any other sport? Also why not pick one ideal venue, central and with good consistent winds, how about the B.V.I. I would go there.

Oldhand

Visit site

Andrew,

If you had watched the Louis Vuitton races with due diligence, especially the final with Oracle, whenever Alinghi sails higher then the optimum downwind VMG course, i.e. a tight reach, she has been faster than all the opposition.

chippie

Visit site

You are right that Alinghi sails higher than the opposition,but the wealth of expert opinion that is over here for the cup are still saying the boats are fairly equal.

[I dont know about the cup being boring, but it is starting to get depressing.]

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by chippie on 18/02/2003 20:19 (server time).</FONT></P>

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
I agree, don't have any tv coverage but just reading about it is interesting. Ian Walker had a goof article about Russell Coutts in yesterday's DT.

At present it looks as though it is the people that are making the difference, which makes the intrigue even greater.

I look to see what I can learn from them - but have to smile when I read that the on board weather tactician calls for a favoured side of the beat, how would that work on my boat - "Dad we should tack because the sun is on the other side":)) A way to go yet, but we try!

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Am cup in Europe = mega glam media coverage for team GB (if we have one) = more impulse yacht purchaces = more boats on the water = less space in the marina.

Thrilling?

Come on NZ!!

Nah, I'd love to see it over here. I think the reason it was a bit of a bore was the poor coverage on terrestrial TV (apart from the usual manic jack in the box performance from Peter Snow ). The beeb might be inclined to make more of an effort closer to home.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://neglectednews.blogspot.com/> Neglected News</A>

wpsalm

Visit site
watched it for a few minutes in the bar the other night guess you got to be a racing sailor to appreciate two big virtually identical boats racing in light airs in what appears to be sheltered waters thrilling no interesting no boring yes...

<hr width=100% size=1>