Always think what if

Stemar

Visit site
That doesn't mean I, and I believe Stemar (unless it is indeed me who has misunderstood) and most of the rest of us haven't taken a lot of time to compile a bunch of strategies which can be deployed as the need arises and are continually adding to those as we consider new scenarios.
That's exactly what I mean. I also get Zoidberg's comment about cognitive rehearsal. Unfortunately there have been plane crashes where a blind following of the track to run on didn't work. because the situation wasn't on the card. As I said, I think we're looking at the same thing from different angles.

I'll just go back to the Boy Scouts' motto, Be Prepared. Have a plan and the kit ready for the predictable problems - spare fuel filter, MOB kit, etc, and have a mindset that's ready to deal with the unpredictable ones

I'll leave it there

fisherman

Visit site
There's an increasingly fine line between going about your normal leisure activity and running an event, say. Think carnival parade or bonfire night. Because you invite people to partake in an activity you have to 'whatif', risk assessment, method statements, etc. I was told on one such occasion that no one would tell me what I must do, but if anything went wrong the first thing asked for would be my written plans. Reasonable diligence, the keywords. Trouble is it's creeping towards everyday life, and if you make such provision it can be seen as a tacit admission that what you are doing is hazardous.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
That's exactly what I mean. I also get Zoidberg's comment about cognitive rehearsal. Unfortunately there have been plane crashes where a blind following of the track to run on didn't work. because the situation wasn't on the card. As I said, I think we're looking at the same thing from different angles.

I'll just go back to the Boy Scouts' motto, Be Prepared. Have a plan and the kit ready for the predictable problems - spare fuel filter, MOB kit, etc, and have a mindset that's ready to deal with the unpredictable ones

I'll leave it there

All our training in the last 20 years has been focused on not blindly following any specific “track to run on” .

But thanks for your input ?