Aluminium French boat.

Allan

Visit site
While in Camaret earlier this year (July) we were moored next to a large aluminium yacht. I wonder if anyone else saw it or knows where I could get more details?
Allan

Sybarite

Visit site
While in Camaret earlier this year (July) we were moored next to a large aluminium yacht. I wonder if anyone else saw it or knows where I could get more details?
Allan

OVNI, Garcia, Sainte Marthe, Boreal, Azzura, Levrier, just to name a few...???

Allan

Visit site
Defiantly not an OVNI. I think it was a one off. 40+feet, all exposed aluminium, large rig with boom much higher at the rear and large rear platform with rollers for the tender. In front of the cockpit is large aluminium wheelhouse with a curved front.
Allan

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Allan

is it the one with a round hull (not chine like ovni), bare aluminum on the outside, rather largish (14-15m ?), the anchor chain runs above the foredeck from the davit to the locker at the base of the mast, the boat which looks more like an expedition boat than a cruiser ?

Sorry no additional details, but if anyone has I would be interested too :)

Allan

Visit site
Yes, a round hull, with vertical stem very similar to some of the modern racing yachts. I don't remember the anchor chain but it did look a lot more "adventurous" than most of the other yachts.
Allan

Sybarite

Visit site
Defiantly not an OVNI. I think it was a one off. 40+feet, all exposed aluminium, large rig with boom much higher at the rear and large rear platform with rollers for the tender. In front of the cockpit is large aluminium wheelhouse with a curved front.
Allan

If it's the boat I think it is, it's a one-off built by its owner and based at Benodet. It's the third large boat he has built. There was an article about it some months ago in a French mag. It currently looks a bit scruffy.

Last edited:

Sybarite

Visit site
is it the one with a round hull (not chine like ovni), bare aluminum on the outside, rather largish (14-15m ?), the anchor chain runs above the foredeck from the davit to the locker at the base of the mast, the boat which looks more like an expedition boat than a cruiser ?

Yep that's the one.

Allan

Visit site
Yes the centre of the stern was fitted with rollers between the twin rudders to put the tender under the cockpit. I have now remembered the tiller was vertical, although this may have just been to get it out of the way in port. Maybe not the best looking boat I've seen but certainly an interesting one, with some unusual ideas.
It would be nice to find some pictures or I may have to wait for my next trip over to France.
Allan

adrianevans

Visit site
Boat identity

It may have been a Boreal. They ar 44ft and match your description. Nice boat and nice doghouse for cold weather sailing. Nearly bought one, but 2 yr waiting list put us off.

Went for an Allures 45 instead...

Sybarite

Visit site
It may have been a Boreal. They ar 44ft and match your description. Nice boat and nice doghouse for cold weather sailing. Nearly bought one, but 2 yr waiting list put us off.

Went for an Allures 45 instead...

I know the Boreal but it's not that. This has an open stern with a ramp for the large dinghy. It's also a 50 footer. As I said, a French mag did an article on the owner who built it himself to a Joubert-Nivelt design.

A Boreal would be on my wishlist; it was boat of the year a couple of years ago.

By the way, welcome to the forum. The Allures 45 is a super boat too.

Last edited: