Alternator supplier

Bodach na mara

Visit site
I have just needed to get my alternator overhauled (at what seems extortionate cost) as there was no usable output. Somewhat late I know but I would now like to know how much a new one would have cost. I have been surprised that I cannot find a British website that provides that information and west-marine only quote (in US$) for 12 volt ones, mine is 24 volt. Anyone got any ideas.

By the way, I know that the sensible route is via a commercial vehicle scrappy but I really do want to know the price of new or re-manufactured equipment

<hr width=100% size=1>Ken Johnson

AndrewB

Visit site
Dunno about price, but there is no shortage of UK websites offering 24v alternators, e.g. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.prestolite.co.uk/index.html>HERE</A>. All it takes is a phone call.

<hr width=100% size=1>

silverseal

Visit site
I strongly advise you to trawl round the second hand car dealers, who will have a local guy who will rebuild and repair alternators, and dynamos and starter motors. I had a tenant at an industrial unit, who did exactly that... a friend of mine was quoted £350 for a new starter motor for a Mitsubishi 4 cyl diesel. Bill rebuilt the whole thing including bearings for £60 - 8 years later it is still going, but sadly Bill isnt

<hr width=100% size=1>

dickh

Visit site
I also had a Lucas alternator repaired locally - took a few days as they had to get parts in but if I remember it cost about £35 - a new one was over £200! Still going OK 4 years later.

<hr width=100% size=1>dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

greatspirit

Visit site
take the alternator to your local Halfords and find one with the same fittings and output.....some years ago I was quoted £110 for a new Petter alternator....turned out to be identical with a Ford Transit alternator that cost £35

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldharry

Visit site
Better still go to your local automotive electrical repair shop who will know agreat deal moe about the potentially obscure alternators fitted to some boats, and have the gear to test and diagnose whats wrong with the old one while you wait Look in Yellow pages.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Bodach na mara

Visit site
Thanks all for your help. I looked at the adverc site and I do not seem to have paid over the odds for a remanufacture job on my alternator. The problem with the halfords idea is getting a 24 volt version. Buying one from a scrappy could yield one on its last legs, so I was happy to get the remanufacture job done. Still a bit stunned by the price though.

<hr width=100% size=1>Ken Johnson