Alt Lt intermitent flashing

vic008

Visit site
Vetus 3 cyl. Lithium battery etc Balmar 618. Sparky booked, but betting it wont play up while he is here. Still outputting 40-50 amps. Any suggestions?

VicS

Visit site
Check all connections including negative . But could well be worn brushes or dirty slip rings.

B27

Visit site
Vetus 3 cyl. Lithium battery etc Balmar 618. Sparky booked, but betting it wont play up while he is here. Still outputting 40-50 amps. Any suggestions?
RTFM.
It's trying to tell you something!

The Balmar 618 is a smart regulator, it's not a 1970's charge light system.
https://balmar.net/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/MC-618.pdf

". When connected, the lamp should flash at regulator start-up to indicate active status."

PaulRainbow

Visit site
RTFM.
It's trying to tell you something!

The Balmar 618 is a smart regulator, it's not a 1970's charge light system.
https://balmar.net/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/MC-618.pdf

". When connected, the lamp should flash at regulator start-up to indicate active status."
You assume the optional dash lamp has been fitted. Might be an idea to verify the installation before proclaiming "RTFM" ?

rotrax

Visit site
We have the OE Balmar 110AH alternator with its matching Balmar smart (ish) Regulator from 2008. 6 X 110AH AGM's, 4 are house, I engine start, I genset. 3 seasons ago I installed 400w of Solar.

When motoring on a sunny day the charge lamp comes on. Worried me at first, but it is just shutting down as the batteries are full. The draw is the nav equipment, plotter and instruments, plus the autopilot. About 8 Amps. The two refrigerators and the freezer come and go, all on together, 11 Amps, so a max possible total load of 19 Amps. Obviously bilge pump, freshwater pump, interior lamps etc might add to this if in use.

I worked out it never happened when sailing at night or on dull/rainy days. I tested by switching on the nav lamps, the charge light went out.

Conclusion - fully charged batteries, Balmar stops charging. Solar is keeping up with demand.

Is there a possibility your situation is similar?