All season tyres

Leighb

Visit site
Having two sets of wheels and tyres would be ideal, especially if one lived in a area where winter snow was other than an occasional nuisance. However you need somewhere to keep them, not easy in a 2 bedroom 2nd floor flat.?
When I was working back in the 70s and snow was more frequent I did have a set of winter tyres for my work car, Volvo 240 estate, these were changed over twice a year and a few times proved their worth getting out to some of the villages.

A historic note, for the duration of the last Ambulance strike, also in the 70s I think., we fitted a Z bed in the back with re-inforcement so that it would not fold up and intended to use the combination as a last resort for the practice if we needed to transport a patient to the hospital. Fortunately it was never put to the test.
We did carry out a feasibility study with one partner as the patient and two others as stretcher bearers and it was possible, at least with a patient of average weight.

Goldie

Visit site
I have been advised that all 4 tyres need replacing. Fronts getting close to limit and rears “perished and cracked” altho’ 5mm tread.
I am thinking of getting All season tyres and had Michelin Cross Climate on a previous car, are these still good performers or are there better choices?
Car is a Yeti 2017, tyres 225 x 50 17.

Michelin Cross Climates on my Yeti 4wd and I find them excellent - most recently in snow on Sunday. I chose 16” wheels (and had a long argument with Skoda to get them) so not quite the same as yours. When I was working, I used to swop for winters as I did a lot of overnight long distances in all conditions, but post retirement, Cross Climates are perfect. Still have the spare 16” alloys if you know anybody…. ?

grumpy_o_g

Visit site
I have been advised that all 4 tyres need replacing. Fronts getting close to limit and rears “perished and cracked” altho’ 5mm tread.
I am thinking of getting All season tyres and had Michelin Cross Climate on a previous car, are these still good performers or are there better choices?
Car is a Yeti 2017, tyres 225 x 50 17.

I've just splashed £800 for four new Cross-Climate 2's (about 2 hours ago) to replace my existing Cross Climates. The tyres wore evenly and would have given 40K without issue if someone hadn't left a piece of metal on the ground. The new ones are apparently even better and, if not class leaders then are in the top three for my needs which they should be at the price although given the longevity I don't think they are that expensive really. On damp ungritted and unsalted roads at 0°C I'm still getting a similar performance as I used to from the Kumho OEM all-season tyres at 8 or 10°C (that lasted about 10K) and breaking and accelerating in these temperatures are just like a warmer wet road. You may find fuel consumption may drops very slightly though - I didn't see that happen but had OEM all-season tyres on anyway before switching Michelin's

Edit: The Cross-climates have exceptional snow performance, better than some winter tyres. Michelin actually do another tyre called the All-Season which is slightly less winter-focussed but that's not available in the UK.

I did have a bit of trouble sourcing 4 Cross-Climates tyres and they and the Goodyear equivalent are in short supply I'm told. I used Blackcircles.com and nominated a local fitter I trust.

Last edited:

Leighb

Visit site
Michelin Cross Climates on my Yeti 4wd and I find them excellent - most recently in snow on Sunday. I chose 16” wheels (and had a long argument with Skoda to get them) so not quite the same as yours. When I was working, I used to swop for winters as I did a lot of overnight long distances in all conditions, but post retirement, Cross Climates are perfect. Still have the spare 16” alloys if you know anybody…. ?
What were your reasons for insisting on 16" wheels? I have heard it said that they are more comfortable. Theywere standard on the Octavia we had and on the earlier Yeti but we have 17" on ours, seemed to be no option when we bought it.
Is there a down side?

Goldie

Visit site
What were your reasons for insisting on 16" wheels? I have heard it said that they are more comfortable. Theywere standard on the Octavia we had and on the earlier Yeti but we have 17" on ours, seemed to be no option when we bought it.
Is there a down side?

We live up a lane in a rural area with v. poor road surfaces. We test drove Yetis with 16” and 17” wheels (16” is an option on some models) and felt that the extra depth of sidewall helped the ride (the rolling circumference is the same). We knew of other Yetis of the spec’ we wanted which had been delivered with 16” and quoted one of those as a precedent. It had to go to Skoda U.K. HQ for approval but they finally agreed on threat of losing the sale. No downsides that we’ve found and apart from a more comfortable ride (imho) the 16” tyres are cheaper :) . Cosmetically - and this is a personal opinion - the deeper tyres seem to ‘fill’ the arches better but that’s incidental. The car is fantastic and so versatile that we plan to keep it until it becomes uneconomic to run. One of the options we ticked was the ‘fold flat’ front passenger seat which means that long items like booms can be carried internally.

GrahamHR

Visit site
My car has AWD, a Volvo V60 Polestar..

I have 20" wheels with the standard fit tyres.

I have 19" wheels with Winter tyres.

It seems to cope with all the UK climate throws at it,

Alfie168

Visit site
Really depends on your needs, location, roads condition etc. And budget.

Be aware when reading tests - the big manufacturers are paying customers (ads) to magazines. The big manufacturers own/control most of the smaller brands and will make sure you pay for what you get.

My philosophy is that summer tyres are no good during winter, winter tyres are no good during summer and All year tyres are no good all year.
But that reflects my requirements, driving mostly in Scandinavia and Northern Germany.

I have wheel sets for summer (fitted with 245/45-18 Goodyear F1 SealTech) and winter (235/50-17 Continental Winter Contact 860) and am happy.
Money wise, apart from the first investment, the balance is at zero because using one set saves the other.

Swapping twice a year and changing oil+filter at the same interval

OK, so last Thursday morning it was -9c here, and tomorrow morning it will be about +13c by 11 am. I'd say four seasons tyres are the only tyres to cover both eventualities. In ten days it could freeze again, but in the UK just about anything can happen, often in the same day.

All movement was cancelled today as we had sheet ice with rain falling on frozen ground. Only studded tyres have a chance on that, and nobody ( except maybe a few rally boys) has those round here.

Alfie168

Visit site
We live up a lane in a rural area with v. poor road surfaces. We test drove Yetis with 16” and 17” wheels (16” is an option on some models) and felt that the extra depth of sidewall helped the ride (the rolling circumference is the same). We knew of other Yetis of the spec’ we wanted which had been delivered with 16” and quoted one of those as a precedent. It had to go to Skoda U.K. HQ for approval but they finally agreed on threat of losing the sale. No downsides that we’ve found and apart from a more comfortable ride (imho) the 16” tyres are cheaper :) . Cosmetically - and this is a personal opinion - the deeper tyres seem to ‘fill’ the arches better but that’s incidental. The car is fantastic and so versatile that we plan to keep it until it becomes uneconomic to run. One of the options we ticked was the ‘fold flat’ front passenger seat which means that long items like booms can be carried internally.

Both my kids Fabias have the low profile option and it ruins the ride ( their previous Fabias didn't) My Octavia 4x4 has the 16 inch wheels and as far as I'm concerned it is spot on. I absolutely agree with you. I don't want the Octavia VRS washboard ride thanks ?

Alfie168

Visit site
I've just splashed £800 for four new Cross-Climate 2's (about 2 hours ago) to replace my existing Cross Climates. The tyres wore evenly and would have given 40K without issue if someone hadn't left a piece of metal on the ground. The new ones are apparently even better and, if not class leaders then are in the top three for my needs which they should be at the price although given the longevity I don't think they are that expensive really. On damp ungritted and unsalted roads at 0°C I'm still getting a similar performance as I used to from the Kumho OEM all-season tyres at 8 or 10°C (that lasted about 10K) and breaking and accelerating in these temperatures are just like a warmer wet road. You may find fuel consumption may drops very slightly though - I didn't see that happen but had OEM all-season tyres on anyway before switching Michelin's

Edit: The Cross-climates have exceptional snow performance, better than some winter tyres. Michelin actually do another tyre called the All-Season which is slightly less winter-focussed but that's not available in the UK.

I did have a bit of trouble sourcing 4 Cross-Climates tyres and they and the Goodyear equivalent are in short supply I'm told. I used Blackcircles.com and nominated a local fitter I trust.

Its always best to buy out of season....which is a bit difficult with four season tyres ??