All right, I give in: WTF is an AWB?

AndrewfromFal

Visit site
Coo. What was his job?
He was a member of the shore team for Telefonica in the 2005 - 2006 Volvo Ocean race.

There was a somewhat heated debate about the suitability of the VO70 for racing around the world (as a couple of them had 'completed' legs of the race on the deck of ships /in the hold of aircraft by this time)....this guy bit and dismissed most of those with opinions as no-nothings in their 5 knot Sh*t boxes (I'm paraphrasing), and Sailinganarchy published his response on the front page....

JumbleDuck

Visit site
There was a somewhat heated debate about the suitability of the VO70 for racing around the world (as a couple of them had 'completed' legs of the race on the deck of ships /in the hold of aircraft by this time)....this guy bit and dismissed most of those with opinions as no-nothings in their 5 knot Sh*t boxes (I'm paraphrasing), and Sailinganarchy published his response on the front page....

Ah. Yes. Not perhaps a terribly wise manner of expression in the circumstances.

floating-toilet.jpeg

(I understand that GT Yachts are producing a luxury version with hand crafted wooden thunderbox for only an extra quarter of a million.)

prv

Visit site
prv will be along soon to tell you
Average White Boat - just another identical white plastic lozenge with navy blue stackpack and roller genoa. Looks shiny at first, but turns out to be flimsy and not cope well with bad weather. Interior looks like the show home for a loft-living development, but as soon as the wind picks up you fall across the acres of laminate flooring and smash the chipboard galley lockers.

The alternative is a Manky Auld Boat - thirty years old, heavy, built strictly for sailing with onboard life an afterthought. Can look nice from the outside, but the inside is a damp hole complete with decades of questionable DIY modifications and a stink of spilled diesel and mildew that will cause instant seasickness even at its drying mooring (this boat probably doesn't do marinas). The galley is well suited to heating up tins of stew during a three-day gale, but there's no door to the toilet.

Thanks for elevating me to the position of authority :)

You left out an important bit though:

Both terms are stereotypes, with some bits based on a grain of truth and others merely prejudice. Don't take either too seriously :)

Pete