Algarve Road Tolls

Blue5

Visit site
I have heard of two foreign car owners who have tried to pay tolls with no success. As Graham has said the only official story for foreign cars is to aquire something as you cross the border into Portugal. Post payment for single trips can only take place not less than 48 hours after the journey and apparently from what I have heard more often 72 hours, so not an option if leaving the country for any time as the fines rack up quite quickly if not paid. Non payment can result in the destruction of the car if you bring it back.

Party in a brewery comes to mind, surprised some enterprising individual is not advertising number plates to rent.

They could not make it more difficult if they tried.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
It used to be like that going across the border from Germany into Switzerland near Schaffhausen. A few miles after the boarder, the road turns into a Swiss Motorway for which you have to have a vignette. This you could get at the border, but there is no indication that you will need it a few kilometres down the highway and no requirement to get it.

I think there is one turn off which leads to a small village and is essentially a dead end.

The fines used to be very heavy. Also very efficiently policed.

maxi77

Visit site
Party in a brewery comes to mind, surprised some enterprising individual is not advertising number plates to rent.

They could not make it more difficult if they tried.

I think they could have made it more difficult but not much more, there are some reports that numberplates are being stolen in some areas of the Algarve

DownWest

Visit site
It used to be like that going across the border from Germany into Switzerland near Schaffhausen. A few miles after the boarder, the road turns into a Swiss Motorway for which you have to have a vignette. This you could get at the border, but there is no indication that you will need it a few kilometres down the highway and no requirement to get it.

The Crysler Voyager I mentioned in the other thread needed to go to Zurich, luckily I was warned about the vignette and paid it at the first stop. Plus was we were put up at the Bar de Lac in the second best suite

RAI

Visit site
Just hired a car in Monte Gordo. The girl said we should just wait for the bill to come through. They get a letter demanding payment within 5 days and then look up who had the rental for those days and send a letter. Unclear if this includes fines or not.

maxi77

Visit site
Just hired a car in Monte Gordo. The girl said we should just wait for the bill to come through. They get a letter demanding payment within 5 days and then look up who had the rental for those days and send a letter. Unclear if this includes fines or not.

As I understand it after 5 days the fines kick in and can ramp up quite quickly. If you crawl through the CTT website there is a page where you can input the reg number and find out what you are due.

RAI

Visit site
As I understand it after 5 days the fines kick in and can ramp up quite quickly. If you crawl through the CTT website there is a page where you can input the reg number and find out what you are due.
Yes I am very suspicious that the girl in the rental company office doesn't know the whole story. She said they used to advise hirers to go the a post office and pay the fees, but that resulted in the one who did having to pay for less honest previous hirer's fees and fines.
I was surprised that the rental company did not have transponders fitted to their cars, but maybe they are afraid of theft.

GrahamM376

Visit site
I was surprised that the rental company did not have transponders fitted to their cars, but maybe they are afraid of theft.

So am I. We have a transponder and each trip is DD from our bank account immediately. ViaVerde also send a monthly statement on-line. Transponder account also has car reg no and all toll gantries have cameras so, unless someone changes number plates as well, not much point in stealing them.

Would be very simple for rental company to debit visa after hirers have left, based on the monthly statement. If anyone uses A22 from say Lagos to airport, they can hardly wait 2 days to pay at the post office when the plane leaves in 2 hours.

chinita

Visit site
This evening I drove from Faro to Lagos on the 125. Traffic was very heavy - in both directions.

From about 6.30pm onwards we must have seen in excess of thirty GNR cars and motorcycles deployed at every roundabout and junction; waving vehicles on to keep the traffic flowing.

I have never seen anything like it. I thought at first that it must have been a reaction to some form of protest; but I did not see anything to confirm that.

God knows what the cost of doing that every evening would be.

bazobeleza

faro, portugal, & Liverpool for my sins, this year
Visit site
Just been on the CTT site (post office) to look at methods of paying for Tolls for when I bring my car down from the UK, and get 'information coming soon'

not unexpected really.

Such a shame such a lovely country seems to shoot itself in the foot with such regularity, I sympathise with the Portugese people they deserve better governance.

Blue5

Visit site
The annoying thing we found when we left a couple of weeks ago was that there were no signs on approach roads in Portugal advising that A22 was a toll road, be interesting to see if you could use that as a defence against a fine.

GrahamM376

Visit site
Such a shame such a lovely country seems to shoot itself in the foot with such regularity, I sympathise with the Portugese people they deserve better governance.

Can't agree more. Unless they change their minds, Faro is going to lose the income the shops/restaurants get from the residents and visitors on the moorings which, over a year, amounts to tens of thousands of euro.

The moorings, many of which are dangerous, have been declared illegal so the police will no longer issue dive licenses for owners to have them serviced. (you're supposed to pay daily for a licence to scuba dive here and employ a commercial diver for any work!) We can use them until they rot away but then they're gone.

Those withouit their own dive gear and a torch have problems.

WF36

Visit site
Just drove from Santander to Lagos with RIB in tow with a UK registered car, didnt worry about the tolls at all. Everyone I have spoken to who lives down there says that UK cars registration details cant be picked up until June/July.

Then when we had a hire car from Lagos to Faro, we asked about the tolls and the car company just said dont worry about it, they said they weren't intrested in them...?!

maxi77

Visit site
Just drove from Santander to Lagos with RIB in tow with a UK registered car, didnt worry about the tolls at all. Everyone I have spoken to who lives down there says that UK cars registration details cant be picked up until June/July.

Then when we had a hire car from Lagos to Faro, we asked about the tolls and the car company just said dont worry about it, they said they weren't intrested in them...?!

I wouldn't be so sure with the hire company they don't care because they simply charge the fines to your credit card. The overall system may be very poorly thought out and implemented, but the hire car companies have been just as bad. They hope that the next hirer of the car will go to the post office and pay your tolls along with their own, but as I say they have you credit card number it the fine comes trhough to them.

WF36

Visit site
I wouldn't be so sure with the hire company they don't care because they simply charge the fines to your credit card. The overall system may be very poorly thought out and implemented, but the hire car companies have been just as bad. They hope that the next hirer of the car will go to the post office and pay your tolls along with their own, but as I say they have you credit card number it the fine comes trhough to them.

What credit card?

I paid in cash.