Algarve Road Tolls

PlanB

Visit site
So does anyone know where you can pay when entering from Spain in a foreign plated car for a few days?

GrahamM376

Visit site
So does anyone know where you can pay when entering from Spain in a foreign plated car for a few days?

This is from the Portugal News

...."Drivers arriving from Spain will be able to visit an automatic kiosk at the border where a pre-paid and temporary transponder can be rented for periods of one, three and five days. Another kiosk will be available at the Olhão service station on the A22"....

Don't hold your breath, it has most likely been shot full of holes or burned out by now!

Blue5

Visit site
Google "Pay A22 toll charges" lots of hits.

Some interesting reading, the charges are not palatable but not prohibitive either but the hassle involved in hiring and returning the dongle are true Portuguese................I have not spoken to anyone who has said they would buy the dongle and use the A22, I hope the increase in traffic on Algarve roads does not deter visitors.

Visit site
Some interesting reading, the charges are not palatable but not prohibitive either but the hassle involved in hiring and returning the dongle are true Portuguese................I have not spoken to anyone who has said they would buy the dongle and use the A22, I hope the increase in traffic on Algarve roads does not deter visitors.

I have bought the gadget, but I am entitled to ten free trips per month.

GrahamM376

Visit site
I have bought the gadget, but I am entitled to ten free trips per month.

So have I. When the free trips are used up, there's also discount on the rest of the trips - but only on the A22. Must say, it made the trip up to Lisbon a bit quicker, not having to queue at the bridge or toll booths.

Unlike the UK, motorways are a pleasure here, just over 2hrs Faro to Lisbon, around 280K, only saw one police car and no speed cameras.

RAI

Visit site
Went from Ayamonte to Faro and back today on the A22. Spanish number plates. The service stations on both sides of the motorway could not get their p(l)ay-stations to work. They thought because of poor connectivity. So fines are coming.

maxi77

Visit site
Went from Ayamonte to Faro and back today on the A22. Spanish number plates. The service stations on both sides of the motorway could not get their p(l)ay-stations to work. They thought because of poor connectivity. So fines are coming.

Not that surprising, for locals without the transponder at least 3 of the 5 days you have to pay are taken up getting the info onto the system, so in reality you only have at best 2 days to pay.

maxi77

Visit site
How can they fine foreign car.

Under EU rules they can get your address from your government, then send in the debt collectors if you do not pay.

To show how they work together, when my car was matriculated in Portugal it was automatically deregistered in the UK.

CLEMMY

Visit site
They say that they will forward details of the offence to the relevant National Department of Transport - DVLA in the case of the UK.

Fine will be total toll charge X 10 plus an administration charge.

As the toll fines in Portugal are being administered by the Governments tax department and therefore not passed through the courts, non payment of fines in Portugal is regarded as failure to pay taxes!!! Perhaps they will channel the fines through Her Majesty's Tax Office !!

chinita

Visit site
As the toll fines in Portugal are being administered by the Governments tax department and therefore not passed through the courts, non payment of fines in Portugal is regarded as failure to pay taxes!!! Perhaps they will channel the fines through Her Majesty's Tax Office !!

Glad you are able to type. Thought you were badly suffering with the Chest Lurgie!

We are in Gib for a few days, slowly dying of greasy spoon colic.

CLEMMY

Visit site
Glad you are able to type. Thought you were badly suffering with the Chest Lurgie!

We are in Gib for a few days, slowly dying of greasy spoon colic.

Its Snot going very quickly, but at least the daytimes are still hot! Hope soon to be able to taste the beer. Thats if I can get the bathchair up the ramp!

Blue5

Visit site
Just looking for any updated information on the situation and how it is working in reality. We are returning our car to UK and as we are planning to leave Vilamoura at 4am it would be handy to nip along the A22 to Spain.

Is it possible to buy a pass for 1 journey in advance, I am really not interested in hiring dongles and if this is the only way I will use the 125

Thanks

chinita

Visit site
I have not discovered how to make a one off payment yet! I really don't think it can be done.

You may have seen this:

http://algarveblog.net/2011/12/08/22-bad-things-about-the-a22-tolls/

Which, in para 15, highlights the problem.

We travelled from Gib a few weeks ago, coming across the bridge there seemed to be no indication whatsoever of how to legally use the motorway.

So, we turned off at Vila Real and used the 125. Not a pleasant experience.

However, at 4am you should be ok!

Blue5

Visit site
I have not discovered how to make a one off payment yet! I really don't think it can be done.

You may have seen this:

http://algarveblog.net/2011/12/08/22-bad-things-about-the-a22-tolls/

Which, in para 15, highlights the problem.

We travelled from Gib a few weeks ago, coming across the bridge there seemed to be no indication whatsoever of how to legally use the motorway.

So, we turned off at Vila Real and used the 125. Not a pleasant experience.

Thanks, I had seen the link, probably just dreaming that they had maybe improved the situation, sadly not after all it is Portugal...!!

GrahamM376

Visit site
I have not discovered how to make a one off payment yet! I really don't think it can be done....So, we turned off at Vila Real and used the 125. Not a pleasant experience.

I think the 125 to Vila Real is the only way you can go without being fined on return.

If you're in Faro sometime, it may be worth visiting the Via Verde office above the indoor Market to ask about the various options.

maxi77

Visit site
I have heard of two foreign car owners who have tried to pay tolls with no success. As Graham has said the only official story for foreign cars is to aquire something as you cross the border into Portugal. Post payment for single trips can only take place not less than 48 hours after the journey and apparently from what I have heard more often 72 hours, so not an option if leaving the country for any time as the fines rack up quite quickly if not paid. Non payment can result in the destruction of the car if you bring it back.

Mind you we drove from Ferrerias to Faro on the 125 yesterday afternoon and the traffic was no worse than before.