Alex Thomson's final sprint

oldbilbo

Visit site
It seems from the attached pic that Alex has about 24-25 hours left, if the displayed info is timely. One more breezy night at sea, the 'motorway' of two-way merchant shipping routing between the Off Ouessant and Finisterre TSSs to cross, the several fleets of long-liners and the Biscay whales to avoid - then a hot bath and a podium!

AT1.jpg

Jean-Pierre Dick in 'Virbac Paprec 3' is easing along at 10-11 knots, with about a day's run to reach safe haven in Baiona, if that's the option he chooses. It is possible he'll have lighter breeze by tomorrow afternoon, so a rounding of the top left-hand corner of Spain is a possible choice..... then there may be a couple of days of modest breeze and seas. Could he opt for bringing the boat all the way home to Les Sables d'Olonne? He could still have fourth slot..... Maybe.

emsworthy

Visit site
It seems from the attached pic that Alex has about 24-25 hours left, if the displayed info is timely. One more breezy night at sea, the 'motorway' of two-way merchant shipping routing between the Off Ouessant and Finisterre TSSs to cross, the several fleets of long-liners and the Biscay whales to avoid - then a hot bath and a podium!

All that plus the prospect of hitting the continental shelf with 40 knots of breeze up his chuff sometime tonight, and his team are already saying that Alex is "reporting horrible conditions at the moment, with winds up to 40 knots". He'll be glad to be safely back on terra firma I'd have thought!

Could be some of the most dangerous conditions of his entire race! :eek::eek:

sailorman

Visit site
JPD has covered 270 mls in the past 24 hrs, with no keel

All that plus the prospect of hitting the continental shelf with 40 knots of breeze up his chuff sometime tonight, and his team are already saying that Alex is "reporting horrible conditions at the moment, with winds up to 40 knots". He'll be glad to be safely back on terra firma I'd have thought!

Could be some of the most dangerous conditions of his entire race! :eek::eek:

MrB

Visit site
As of 1500hrs GMT Alex was 270 miles to the finish doing 17.1kts. He is going to make it in 80 days after all . I may be wrong but if he was to keep up that speed he would make it in about 16 hours. Great race.:cool:

oldbilbo

Visit site
Hmmm.... continental shelf..... ye-e-es.

Where he's heading, the depths go from 3-4000 metres to about 3-400 feet in about 30-40 miles. That does sumthink to the wave train, as I recall. Could well be a bumpy ride through the night. He'll be well pleased to see the dawn, but I reckon his eyes will be out on stalks!

MrB

Visit site
??????
Surely to circumnavigate in less than 80 days, his elapsed time has to be 79 days, 23 hours, 59 minutes, 59 seconds or less.

His goal was to make it in 80 days or less. It`s the "Around the World in 80 Days" by Jules Verne thing.

geoid96

Visit site
His goal was to make it in 80 days or less. It`s the "Around the World in 80 Days" by Jules Verne thing.

Phileas Fogg took 80 days and 5 minutes. He claimed that by travelling in an easterly direction he had actually gained a day, thus winning the wager. Of course, as is easily proved, no time is actually saved, therefore Fogg and unfortunately also Alex, will have both missed the target.

sailorman

Visit site
He did slow down for about 18 hrs standing by JPD

Phileas Fogg took 80 days and 5 minutes. He claimed that by travelling in an easterly direction he had actually gained a day, thus winning the wager. Of course, as is easily proved, no time is actually saved, therefore Fogg and unfortunately also Alex, will have both missed the target.

MrB

Visit site
If he didn't do it in 79 days and he didn't do it in 81 days what did he do it in then?:rolleyes:

Spyro

Visit site
latest info on the site says ETA at 0700 on 30.1.13. It also say Live web video feed of the finish is cancelled. WTF is that about. Maybe due to the seastate but I thought they could get a helicopter out there or another open 60?

farmerdan79

Visit site
latest info on the site says ETA at 0700 on 30.1.13. It also say Live web video feed of the finish is cancelled. WTF is that about. Maybe due to the seastate but I thought they could get a helicopter out there or another open 60?

Yep, gutted they are now not showing the live feed...

...Hoping that the Bee'b will have something on the breakfast news though...