Albania

Mad Pad

Visit site
Make sure first port is a port of entry,and employ an agent.
Where were you thinking of stopping and do you have the 777 cruising guide?
I believe the only marina at present is Vlore,the rest is old harbour stuff.
Mad Pad

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Make sure first port is a port of entry,and employ an agent.
Where were you thinking of stopping and do you have the 777 cruising guide?
I believe the only marina at present is Vlore,the rest is old harbour stuff.
Mad Pad
I have the Imray Adriatic Pilot. I find it it not very good, it seems to me to jump all over the place.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
We will sign out of Croatia in Cavat, then sign into Montenegro at Kotor. Or go across to Italy?Or miss Montenegro out and go straight to Tirana?

Last edited:

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
We will sign out of Croatia in Cavat, then sign into Montenegro at Kotor. Or go across to Italy?Or miss Montenegro out and go straight to Tirana?

Sailors in Croatia tell me that Montenegro and Kotor are well worth visiting but I've only ever left Cavtat and headed straight for the Ionian. I'm much less sure about Albania and, personally, have never felt the desire to stop over there.

Richard

AndrewB

Visit site
Sailors in Croatia tell me that Montenegro and Kotor are well worth visiting but I've only ever left Cavtat and headed straight for the Ionian. I'm much less sure about Albania and, personally, have never felt the desire to stop over there.

Richard

Kotor in particular is very well worth visiting. We sailed there last year. The approach, up a fjord, the 'Boka Kotorska', is spectacular. The town itself is a smaller version of Dubrovnik. The castle above the town is ruined but worth the climb for the views. The nearby island church off Perast should not be missed.

Montenegro is not in the EU, but customs formalities were dealt with very smoothly at Zelenika on the way into the Boka Kotorska.

Last edited:

Hardmy

Visit site
AndrewB is 100% right. You shouldn't miss Boka Kotorska. It feels like navigating a mountain lake! Sure, check-in/out is a bit cumbersome (but much easier than leaving Croatia through Cavtat). In my view, it is worth the hassle. And you can fill up your tanks with tax free fuel, which can be quite interesting :) There is an old thread with pics here: http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthrea...taly-summer-cruise-2014&p=5031510#post5031510

In Albania I've only been to Saranda. We found the people to be very very friendly. Cheap and good eating opportunities, and one of the best fresh produce market I've seen in the area. Clearance is straightforward but you need an agent. Further pics here: http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthrea...-in-the-Northern-Ionian&p=5339780#post5339780

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
Albanian waters are majestic and gloriously clear, luring mariners to drop anchor and explore, but beware! There are only a few bays where it is safe to drop an anchor as most of the coastline was heavily mined by the former Communist government. The Imray pilot guide book informed us that the mines "may still be down there; anchor at your own risk. http://www.oceannavigator.com/November-December-2009/Sailing-Albania/

We were told that when were in Corfu.