AIS

ironmaiden

Visit site
Hi all, I'm looking to buy an AIS unit and the one the I am gravitating towards is the Matsutec HP-33A AIS Transponder Combo High Marine GPS Navigator.

would any of you folk out there happen to have any dealings with this particular unit, and is it basically a plug and play unit,
I know it comes with its own antenna and its capable of being integrated into other units, but initially I just want it so that I know what is around me.

thanks for your input in advance.
regards rachel

Yngmar

Visit site
We've got one. Bought it off Amazon for £350 last year with a few days delivery. Make sure the GPS mushroom is included - some resellers try to unbundle it and sell it separately to make more money - skip those. Connect GPS mushroom, VHF antenna (or active splitter if you prefer) and the combined power/NMEA0183 cable as documented.

No problems, except once it stopped working - the VHF connector had loosened a bit. Easy fix :)

Plenty of threads about the thing on these forums already. It's low power (dim the display to the lowest setting at night) and can also be used as anchor watch.

greeny

Visit site
+1 to everything Yngmar has said. Very happy with mine bought this year and fitted 2 months ago. The case assembly is surprisingly solid and appears to be well built. Followed the instructions and no problems with mine at all.