AIS on a Hand-Held VHF - Icom M94 Mini Review

Major_Clanger

Home is Suffolk, boat either Suffolk or Cornwall
Visit site
We were struck by lightning first night out on a recent delivery. Very lucky in most respects but it knocked-out the radar scanner, VHF and AIS amongst other things. The radar was ancient and not worth worrying about and, ordinarily, I wouldn't have been too concerned about lack of AIS either, but the trip involved crossing/transiting several busy TSS zones plus going through the Straits of Messina, which can be really busy with commercial traffic, so I wanted some kind of AIS. We can all work out a CPA with a compass, but I like the idea of having a ship's name in case I want to call them - makes life much easier.

I decided to buy Icom's fairly recent M94DE hand-held DSC VHF which has its own small AIS screen - this can be orientation for TN or course up. I used it extensively for the next 4 weeks and it's a great bit of kit. I can't comment on the radio side of things as it wasn't used, but it has a 6w output so quite powerful for a hand-held. The AIS works really well though, the screen is small but legible and can be customised for range - .25nm to 12nm - with options for audible and visual alarms. It also has provision for multiple target tracking and holds full target info on a scroll-down menu. Battery life is okay, about 5 hours with screen live, but the UK version only comes with a 240v charger to go with its cradle which seems completely daft. I had to buy the 12v charger separately. It's IP67 water and dust proof as one would expect. The only negative, at least IMO, is the quality of the plastic casing; it doesn't feel as good as normal Icom quality.

Recommended though and cheap enough at £319.
IC-M94DE : Handheld Marine VHF Radio - Icom UK

Last edited: