Affordable moorings for a couple of weeks?

Ceirwan

Visit site
I'm based on the Humber and thinking about heading down to the East Coast rivers for a bit of a change from my normal run further North, I work a 2 weeks on & 2 off work pattern & had the idea of maybe leaving the boat down on a cheap(ish) berth or swinging mooring for a couple of weeks while I go back to work & then being able to resume straight of without the slog down across the wash & past Yarmouth / Lowestoft.

Does anyone know anywhere that I might be able to get a reasonably priced mooring for a few weeks to do something like that, not fussed on exactly where as long as I can get to a train station, although realistically I doubt I'll want to go further south than Harwich before leaving the boat.
I do realise its coming up towards summer time & with everyone staycationing it might be a big ask, but thought it was worth a shout.

I'm 28 foot & fin keel, can't take the bottom unless its the softest of soft mud. Draught 1.65m.

Any suggestions from the locals? :D

Ceirwan

Visit site
The major difficulty may possibly be getting from the shore to the boat at your convenience.

Woolverstone Marina is the only place that offers a water taxi service in the area you mention but has poor access to a railway station.

Well my dinghy is pretty old and probably not that attractive to thieves, I don't even have an outboard, I'm not sure if I'd risk leaving it for 2 weeks. I'd probably need to find somewhere to stash it. (Its an old avon inflatable so packs up pretty small)

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Well my dinghy is pretty old and probably not that attractive to thieves, I don't even have an outboard, I'm not sure if I'd risk leaving it for 2 weeks. I'd probably need to find somewhere to stash it. (Its an old avon inflatable so packs up pretty small)

Worth giving Harwich & Dovercourt sailing club a ring. The only one I can think of that has deep water moorings and a railway station in the area you are keen on. It would help if you are currently a member of a yacht club.

Ceirwan

Visit site
Worth giving Harwich & Dovercourt sailing club a ring. The only one I can think of that has deep water moorings and a railway station in the area you are keen on. It would help if you are currently a member of a yacht club.

Thanks, I'm based from the Humber Yawl club, I'll give them a call.

ballyabroad

Boat River Deben, Suffolk. Home Nottinghamshire
Visit site
Try Felixstowe Ferry Boatyard. Pretty certain there are some deep water moorings available. There is outdoor dinghy storage available or you can make use of the foot ferry. Would probably need an outboard as the tidal flow at times is Humberesque. Felixstowe train station is 10 mins in a taxi and next door to the COOP for provisioning.

Baggy

Visit site
Their are a few swing moorings, just out side Titchmarsh marina, easy row to shore with dingy storage, and train station Frinton/walton to Colchester

Give them a tinkle

peter.m

Visit site
If you get as far South as the crouch you might like to call Brandy hole morrings. ( Brandy Hole Moorings Home Page ). He normaly has deep water swinging moorings at a reasonable cost, small private boat yard to leave your tender. No direct train but only a short walk along the river to a bus stop, and a decent pub.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
Felixstowe Ferry Boatyard on the River Deben would possibly have a suitable mooring. 01394282173 speak to Andrew. Mooring just above my boat doesn't appear to have a boat this year. Don't be put off by horror stories of the entrance, it's not that bad... See East Coast Pilot for a download of the entrance.

Last edited:

Ceirwan

Visit site
Thanks a lot for the suggestions.
I've got mired down in boat jobs and unfavorable forecasts so would probably be sometime in July.

From the sound there's plenty of options anyway. Thanks again.