Aegina to Kas in late October?

Toutvabien

Visit site
Hi All,

I have been asked to help a relatively inexperienced friend to move a boat, Southerly 115, from Aegina to Kas in Southern Turkey towards the end of October. Looks like a trip of only around 320 miles so allowing around a week to 10 days all up.

I am unfamiliar with Mediterranean weather patterns and any suggestions on routing and timings at that time of year from Med veterans would be helpful.

Many Thanks,

Paul

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
The weather in October may be great with settled winds and good conditions. Or it might be awful. That's the problem with the autumn in that part of the world so you do need a plan B of either being able to sit out some bad weather which extends your passage time or an alternative place to leave the boat whilst you return to UK and then try again later.

cmedsailor

Visit site
Weather in October can be anything. Calm, light winds, strong winds (any direction), stormy, anything. However, 7-10 days is a lot to cross the Aegean and there are many islands to stop.
As far as Routing is concerned, I have crossed the whole Aegean (part of a longer delivery) 4 times the last 10 years in the months of June, August, January and April. June routing was Athens, Kithnos, Amorgos, Rhodes, Kastelorizo (opposite Kas). August routing was Kithnos, Kos, Rhodes, Kastelorizo. January routing was Kithnos, Naxos, Kastelorizo and April routing was Aegena, Naxos, Kastelorizo. OK, these were very long legs due to time constrains but in general due to the prevailing northern winds all routings were from North gradually going South.
Just pay attention to the forecast for the next 2-3 days and decide before you sail.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Agree with the others about the weather in Oct , but saying that , this is the case all the year round , there no set weather Patton , yes we know the winds are normally NW in the summer but as most of us know that not always the case and over the last few years the weather have play an song and dance in the Med ,
so keeping that in mind I suggest forget about plainning this far in advance and wait till a day or so before and then make your plain .

macd

Visit site
As Duncan wrote, October is often quite benign in the Aegean, but can be the opposite. The latter is typically caused by lows passing through, of which you'll usually have good warning. You could be lucky, but will need to be prepared to really go for it when you have a window, particularly in the more exposed parts of the Aegean. A long overnighter could knock off half your mileage.

Beware, too, thunderstorms, which can make even harbours unsafe and can be very wild near the Turkish coast, in particular. This page is excellent for tracking them in real time: http://en.blitzortung.org/live_lightning_maps.php?map=14

Although you generally get better shelter nearer the Turkish coast, there are several potential funnel points, notably between Rhodes and the mainland. The stretch from the Gocek/Fethiye gulf to Kas is mostly very exposed, with only Belcegis Korfezi (anchorages) and Kalkan (harbour) offering shelter. Wind against around the Seven Capes (the obvious turn 18NM NW of Kalkan) and onwards is best avoided. (In other words, resist the complacency of "we're nearly there, what can possibly go wrong?")

And remember that the most dangerous thing on a boat is a schedule.

You could have a brilliant sail. Fair winds.

Toutvabien

Visit site
Thanks all for the insights, very helpful indeed.

I am very aware of the dangers of any schedules when moving boats around, and do intend to make optimum use of any windows of good weather to knock off the miles, if and when the opportunity arises. The routing ideas look very helpful, and I will look at the harbours suggested in more detail. The boat has a new powerful Vetus engine and reasonably large fuel tanks so no reason for stopping apart from the press of weather, or the desire for a souvlakia.

Last time I did a delivery trip in the Med. though was 29 years ago and wanted to hear from others more familiar with the area and particularly in relation to the weather patterns.

Thanks very much.