Aegean laundry prices

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Ionian prices for laundry seemed to be similar to Spain. However, that changed as we headed South towards the Aegean.

I found 2 places in Githion, both dry cleaning type of shop. Both said they did ordinary washing & drying (no ironing needed). We had 7-8kg whites and same for coloureds.

Shop 1: 5 euro per kg so that's about 70-80 euro
Shop 2: 10 euro per 1-5kg load, about 40 euro

I thought they must be quoting for dry cleaning.

I found a place in Porto Kheli today and they wanted 15 euro per 6kg load (or part load) so that's 60 euro.

Is this normal for Aegean (i.e. people assume you will pay any price they ask). The 5-6kg load is the killer as we often found 8kg machines in the past. Greek places we've seen so far seem to be using small household machines and that pushes us up to 4 loads instead of 2.

Running out of things we can hand wash and need to find somewhere for machine wash soon. Any suggestions welcome for reasonably priced laundry places from Porto Kheli - Poros area.

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
In Navplion there's a laundry (proper one) about 1km from the quay on the main road out toward Epidavros. Reasonable prices but it's a few years since we were there. Also seem to recall Monemvasia had a couple of places at reasonable prices.

Left Monemvasia without finding any laundries but might have missed them. Going to skip Navplion this time around but Poros sounds OK anyway. Porto Kheli was OK (once you know where to look) so no urgency now.

I've decided that a quick look at websites of nearby hotels is a good idea in future. Searching facilities for laundry can reveal some possible facilities.

charles_reed

Visit site
Laundry prices vary wildly though I've found the Ionian generally more expensive than the Aegean.
I always, now, use local laundrettes, provided free in same yards and between €3-€5 in others for between 8-15kg loads.
Drying, hung round the boat takes 20'-90', so the use of a laundry is a no brainer.
PS Yes I do wash double sheets, dry them, fold them and stow them.
I have a list of those places where you can get your washing done.

Visit site
Spain has the best laundry prices of anywhere I have been to. Greece the worst.

YPC marina in Cartagena was €4 per machine. The Lefkas Marina €15 per wash and not even in commercial machines so the load is smaller. Greece has no self service laundrettes, but if lucky you can find a good local laundry service, but it's still going to be €15 per load dried.

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
Laundry prices vary wildly though I've found the Ionian generally more expensive than the Aegean.
I always, now, use local laundrettes, provided free in same yards and between €3-€5 in others for between 8-15kg loads.
Drying, hung round the boat takes 20'-90', so the use of a laundry is a no brainer.
PS Yes I do wash double sheets, dry them, fold them and stow them.
I have a list of those places where you can get your washing done.

Yes, there does seem to be a huge variability in prices. I've avoided the expensive ones so far. A list would be useful if you have one already written and it doesn't involve extra work for you, thanks.

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
Spain has the best laundry prices of anywhere I have been to. Greece the worst.

YPC marina in Cartagena was €4 per machine. The Lefkas Marina €15 per wash and not even in commercial machines so the load is smaller. Greece has no self service laundrettes, but if lucky you can find a good local laundry service, but it's still going to be €15 per load dried.

We also found it pretty easy to find self-service places in Spain. It sounds as if you had similar problems to those I mentioned earlier (small machines, big prices). We must have been lucky in the Ionian as Cleopatra and Preveza were both reasonably priced.

In Sivota, lefkas a number of places do a load for 5 euros, an extra 5 if you want it dried. We always prefer to dry it on the boat, much fresher and less creases

5 euro for drying is a bit steep but no big deal as we don't want ironing and drying clothes isn't exactly difficult in Greece.

My wife no longer folds clothes before dropping them off at a laundry. We returned early at two different places and saw that the clothes were still neatly folded when being removed from the machine. Not folding makes them much bulkier when bagging for drop off but at least they stand a better chance of getting washed. :D:D

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Mike walked pass one in Poros to day Mary's Landry, sorry in the rush to find bread forgot to go back and ask the price , but at less you know there one there , it's near the sq in the back street .

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
Oh well that one out haha .

I was told that washing from the place in Porto Kheli usually came back like cardboard. So 45-60 euro for cardboard or 8 euro for slightly damp. I think I made the right choice.

P.S.
Amazingly quiet here just now. About 28 "The Yacht Week" boats arrived in Porto Kheli this afternoon and I still hear nothing. Perhaps they are partied out or they are going for a late start and I'll be awake until 05:00. I can't see any lights either, could be that someone has towed them out to sea.