Advice. Warping a Vessel along a Quay?

cod

Visit site
I am studying seamanship and have a good book that contains most things I need to know. However it does not describe the procedures for warping a ship along a quay. Clearly there are likely to different considerations depending on the size of the ship. Can anyone point me in the right direction starting with a fishing boat of say 24m and moving on to a vessel of say 60m.

Thanks,

MINESAPINT.

petehoehill

Visit site
Interesting question, I have checked Nicholls Consise guide and Dantons Seamanship.
Neither give an official answer.
So as a good seaman use commen sense.
i have done this many times,practically, but you need an answer to keep the MCA happy.
Try, have main engines available, check wind conditions,(if its blowing a force 8 off the quay, don't even think about it).
provided everything is safe assuming i want to warp ahead, i would drop my spring ropes,(and breasts, unlikely on a ship of that size but possible), heave on my 2 head ropes, using the forward winch, and slack on my 2 sterns, they will keep you alongside, as you approach your head ropes abeam position, have one of them moved ahead to the next available bollard,for safety sake one at a time.
Then also shift your stern ropes ,again one at at time, so one becomes a breast.
Have a forward spring hung out and available to put onto a bit to stop the vessel if necessary, remember the engine is also available as well to assist.
Remember for the MCA, it is safety and not common sense.

With limited crew you have to think a lot differently, it has been known for my ex company to attach a head line to a four wheel drive Izuzu Trooper, and tow a 2,500 tonne ship up to its berth.
Under exam conditions it is safety, and plenty of crew available. in the real world it is not.

Hope this is some help.