Advice please, best A/F for Chichester / Solent

Frontier

Visit site
I am looking for advice on the best antifoul to use for my area.

The boat spends too long tied up in Chichester marina, which is tidal but is also fed from marshy lagoons and its about 7 miles up the harbour from the sea. when we go out, its in and around the Solent.

What A/F lasts longer than a year and keeps the weeds and barnicles off in this area.

Any advice appreciated.

D

tobble

Visit site
I'm on a drying mooring in Southampton and put on seajet shogun and was launched in september. 8 months on and there are a few patches of barnicles, which I didn't have a problem with before, even after being in for 18 months. not sure what was on before as I bought the boat with it. So you can scratch one of your list! sorry, seajet...

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has tried Cuprotect or a similar treatment

R32Stbrigid

Visit site
Jotun, available from Williams Shipping, Milbrook southampton. About £60 for 5 litres. I have used it for about 5 years now with excellent results.

TeamSpirit

Visit site
Also in Chi Marina - it's a pain in winter having freshwater feeds into the marina and little lock activity to replenish with sea water. However, I have awlgrip gold works a treat and can get two seasons out of two coats. Have been impressed with the longevity. Always get light growth this time of year around the water line but a quick scrub with a brush brings this off a treat. If i'm staying in over winter I have a lift and scrub in October.

RobBrown

Visit site
I'd second Jotun as a good A/F on the Hamble, tho actually using Cruiser Uno this yr as was on special offer, so thought I'd give it a try. Too early to say whether better or worse.

michael_w

Visit site
The only brand of antifoul that is any good is SeaHawk Island 44.

Alas, not available in the EU or USA being a TBT based paint. Use the extra tin booster for best results. Brilliant stuff, nothing comes near it, let alone grow. Easily bought in the Caribbean.

KeithH

Visit site
Seajet Shogun was the worst I have tried in Chichester (swinging mooring at Itchenor). Barnacles loved it. Quite useless.

Blakes Tiger extra is OK - with 2 coats it lasts the season.

ChrisE

www.simpleisgood.com
I believe that the two worse places for fouling are Poole and Keyhaven, both basically shallow warm lakes. We've kept our boat in both and International is the only one that has done the job. Although ,as TK says, there's no such thing as a perfect a/f in the UK.

wooslehunter

Visit site
It really depends on where in Chi you are.

I'm trying Shogun this year after a few good recommendations. I'm up at Emsworth on the mud.

3yrs ago - Cruiser Uno, quite a few barnacles, little slime or weed.
2 yrs ago - Tiger Extra, more barnacles, little slime or weed.
last year - XM cheapy, few barnacles, lots of slime & weed.

pvb

Visit site
Best advice...

The best advice is that antifouling performance is closely related to how much of the stuff is applied. Generally, the people who use a roller to make the paint go further are the most unhappy a year later. With a properly applied, generous coating, there's little difference between makes. If you want reassurance, have a look here at the ingredients used in antifoul - you'll find that most of them are basically the same stuff.

pvb

Visit site
Just for info...

Just for info, I practice what I preach. My boat stays in the water all year round, and is only lifted out for a week every 2 years (using the marina's cheap summer liftout offer) for antifouling. I apply about 3 good coats of Micron, using a brush. Seems to work well, and is very economical.

dulcibella

blog.mailasail.com
I thought that TBT paints were not available to leisure boat users in this country because of their high toxicity to shellfish etc. Isn't it a tiny bit irresponsible to outflank this by importing them from the Caribbean?