Advice: places to leave a boat near Oban, June 2021

arto

Visit site
I'm gradually working my way up to the west coast this summer and weather and everything else permitting, I hope to be near Oban around mid-June. At that point, I need to leave the boat (fin keel, 2m draft, 11m overall) unattended for a few days.

Oban looks well connected (train south), but where would local experts recommend leaving a boat? The places obvious to a stranger are Oban Marina (Kerrera) and Dunstaffnage.

I'd appreciate advice, recommendations and suggestions. Are Oban and Dunstaffnage likely to have space? How "open" is Kerrera, now that Covid restrictions have eased a little?

Finally, is there anywhere else you'd recommend as a place to leave a boat for a few days while taking public transport down south and back?

Thanks!

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Oban looks well connected (train south), but where would local experts recommend leaving a boat? The places obvious to a stranger are Oban Marina (Kerrera) and Dunstaffnage.
Kerrera without a doubt. The transit marina in Oban is limited to three days and everywhere else is a pain for public transport, whereas Kerrera is a short ferry trip and a five minute walk from the station. I left my boat there for ten days a couple of years ago.

The only downside is marina prices, so if that's an issue it might be worth looking at Kilmelford, which is much cheaper on a swinging mooring and has an occasional bus service to Oban.

Minchsailor

Visit site
Kilmelford has a 'school bus' which (hopefully) gets you into Oban for the early morning train for Glasgow. I've used it a few times.

Kerrera a better bet than Dunstaffanage.

Or there is even Tobermory moorings, then bus and ferry - that works; or, I guess, Loch Aline, although a more complicated journey.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Kilmelford has a 'school bus' which (hopefully) gets you into Oban for the early morning train for Glasgow. I've used it a few times.
We were warned when I left my boat there that the bus was then refusing to stop at the yacht haven entrance and would only pick up or set down in the middleof the village. I tried but failed to get confirmation either way from West Coast Motors. I suspect a single grumpy driver.

cpedw

Visit site
The visitor moorings (Oban Community Berthing) have a weekly rate. It's a short walk from the railway station, further to the rest of Oban. I advise booking ahead but probably cheaper than any of the marinas listed above. It'll be a swinging mooring and you'll need a dinghy - no water taxi that I know of.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Finally, is there anywhere else you'd recommend as a place to leave a boat for a few days while taking public transport down south and back?

Thanks!
I have only been to the marina on Kerrara twice- in 2012 & 2014 & the second time I felt that it was even more disgusting than the first visit. One public toilet with a door falling off the hinges. No showers, water etc. Launch broken so difficulty getting to mainland, Staff walked out when I went to the bar, so no snacks or drinks available.Problems with electric supply & uncomfortable mooring due to weather.
Hopefully, things have improved. Oban as a town though is something different & it did make up for it somewhat.
However, you have mentioned transport south & one wonders where & how many of you? Considering the cost of rail transport I found that hiring a car from one end & dropping it off at the other has huge advantages. ie:-
Split between a crew it is cheap. All luggage can be moved without trying to lug it round stations, No taxis or collection, delivery each end by friends. Travel when you want.
So if you research to see if any hire firms would deliver a car to Croabh Haven - which in the grand scheme of things is not actually that far from Oban- you could have a decent safe place to leave the boat & a cheap option to get home.
I did Essex to Inverness for £170 inc fuel. the firm was Enterprise, I collected the car, but they would have delivered to me I had it 48 hours. At inverness I did some shopping, I had a lot of gear to shift, Then their sales person dropped me off at the boat when I returned it to their depot in Inverness
Worth investigating perhaps??

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
The visitor moorings (Oban Community Berthing) have a weekly rate. It's a short walk from the railway station, further to the rest of Oban. I advise booking ahead but probably cheaper than any of the marinas listed above. It'll be a swinging mooring and you'll need a dinghy - no water taxi that I know of.
Over the water just off Kerrera there are visitors moorings that are even cheaper by Heather Island. It's a 100m paddle to Kerrera Island where you can leave your dinghy in a bush where it won't be touched, pay in Colintraive Farm as you walk the 15 minutes to Kerrera Marina, then get their ferry to the mainland.

arto

Visit site
Useful thoughts, thanks.

@Daydream believer's comments on Kerrera make it sound less than wholly inviting which is a shame, as it looks great on paper, particularly if the ferry runs regularly.

Car hire looks interesting but a quick search uncovers only firms based in Glasgow or Inverness, both seem a long way for a delivery for a quick one-day one-way hire. Still, I'll do some more digging.

I'm happy to leave the boat on a mooring, but I can't really use my own dinghy to get ashore: taking it home with me on public transport is a non-starter, and leaving it under a bush for an extended period seems risky, so there needs to be some kind of service to get me ashore.

I'm not averse to using the bus. Around 30 years ago (my last trip to the west coast) I left a boat at Croabh for a while and caught a bus to Oban from the main road, and from the travelinescotland.com website, it looks as if that is still possible. Kimelford seems similar in terms of access.

Thanks for the mention of Balvicar @webcraft - a name new to me.

No comments on Dunstaffnage. Any reasons?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I have only been to the marina on Kerrara twice- in 2012 & 2014 & the second time I felt that it was even more disgusting than the first visit. One public toilet with a door falling off the hinges. No showers, water etc. Launch broken so difficulty getting to mainland, Staff walked out when I went to the bar, so no snacks or drinks available.Problems with electric supply & uncomfortable mooring due to weather.
Hopefully, things have improved.
It did have a bit of a dire reputation at one time, but I believe new owners took over after that and all my visits have been very good experiences.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
@Daydream believer's comments on Kerrera make it sound less than wholly inviting which is a shame, as it looks great on paper, particularly if the ferry runs regularly.
It really isn't like that any more. Incidentally, they'll do a special run with the ferry if you don't want to hang about too long before or after a train. You pay a bit, but not much. Normal ferry runs are free if you have a boat there.

IPsailor

Visit site
I’ve left our 38 ft boat on mooring at Kerrera safely for a few days, a week and nearly a month in 2016, 2017 and 2019. Yes it did have a low period before that but the recent experiences were all good. They’d got the ferry issue sorted, booking was essential but they would drop you at the mooring and collect from it. Would do it again. Sure you pay a premium compared to the Heather Island moorings but if you arrive late on you are dropped on the boat. Book for the train - limited seating. Used local taxi firms for 4 and 5 member crew trips to Glasgow. Cost more than train bus etc but convenience can be important ....

wully1

Visit site
Great suggestions, thanks everyone. Much appreciated.
For one way car hire you will struggle. Eurocar used to do one ways from Craobh and Avis from Oban but this stopped many years ago (which was a PITA for me as I used it for getting to work)
Ardfern has a good bus service to Oban with a choice of rail or train and on to Glasgow or Ardfern to Glasgow via Lochgilphead.
You can also catch a Sleeper train from Arochar which is on the Lochgilphead to Glasgow bus route - my preferred travel routeto deepest, darkest englandshire. It is fun to be the only person on a deserted platform when the single sleeper carriage train stops just for you..

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Loch Feochan, 5 miles south of Oban can probalby help for a few days, couple of weeks.
Taxi back into Oban £12.50 approx.
Looks like a nice place, though I believe access is a bit tricky.

B...b...but Kerrera is so easy and so convenient that I really don't think there is any point looking anywhere else for a few days. If it was a few weeks then yes, there are other possibilities but for a few days Kerrera is streets ahead.

Daydream believer

Visit site
If only for 4-5 days hire the car in oban ( a firm may deliver to marina of your choice if you take them back to depot) & retain for the whole period. Then come back in it. Compare it to a rail fare & add convenience factor. May still work.

dunedin

Visit site
If only for 4-5 days hire the car in oban ( a firm may deliver to marina of your choice if you take them back to depot) & retain for the whole period. Then come back in it. Compare it to a rail fare & add convenience factor. May still work.

You‘ve spied on my plan ! Covid jab 2 trip - boat in Kerrera, hire car from Flit Self Drive.
But restricted number of Kerrera ferries soo checked and booked these. Plus Tesco Click and Collect on return.