Advice on refitting water pump

benw

Visit site
Ok those super chaps at Bukh serviced my water pump and refitted impellor etc ready for reinstating.
But the question arises: aligning the impellor shaft into the main engine mount is going to be difficult with the new impellor already in and sealed as Bukh couldnt possibly have known the exact alignment.
Should I take the impellor out and spend a few quid on a new gasket or line up shaft turning the whole pump assembly to line up correctly. if so which way should I turn the pump?
Thoughts?

VicS

Visit site
As above but if you are fussy then turn the shaft in the same direction it goes when running or the pump body in the opposite direction

30boat

N/A
Visit site
You can see the recess at the end of the camshaft where the water pump engages.Turn the water pump shaft to the same position as the camshaft slot and offer the pump up.Then turn the body slightly to align with the mounts and that's it.

benw

Visit site
Thanks folks. As usual I apply too much consideration - just didnt want to knacker the impellor.
Interested in alternative option ie decompress and turn engine over with hand start. At the mo I have yet to reassemble the stat housing as I degunged that as well as take off pump for service.
This weekend I get back on board to finish last jobs pre launch on 19th Apr. Just hope I remember where I left all the bits since Feb half term!

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
It reads as though you are expecting the pump to run reliably for the forseeable future. You need to be aware that this may not happen and it could fail at any moment. There is a likelihood of early failure with any mechanical component for a whole variety of reasons, and it is a fact of life that they always fail at an inopportune moment. (One failed on me in a flat calm right in the middle of the entrance into Scheveningen Harbour!) So I advise you to equip yourself with new gaskets, impellers etc before they are needed.