Advice on new outboard

Tideline

Visit site
I have the Honwave 380, with the high air pressure floor/keel. Nice size inflatable for a family to mess about on.
Essentially we are a family of four adults. The boat until now has been powered by a 7.5hp Johnson, which goes well with one, or two people aboard, but understandably struggles with four!
I am wanting to get another engine. Can anyone suggest whether a two-stroke 15hp engine would get four adults planing in this boat? I have seen a nice tidy engine and like the idea of the 35kg weight of it, provided it will do what I ask of it, or am I better going for the much heavier 4 stroke 15 or 20hp Tohatsu?
Suggestions, advice welcome.

landlockedpirate

Visit site
Yes it will plane with a 15hp 2 stroke and 4 on board. A few years ago I had a Honda 32 with a Mariner 15 and it did around 22kts with 4 and 25kts with 2.

It's a good choice of engine, much better than a 4 stroke in this type of boat. The only engine that would be even better would be a 18hp 2 stroke Tohatsu, but they are very sought after and rare.

dingdongs

Visit site
i bought a 15hp 4 stroke 2010 mariner and all is good and it will fly on a 3.3 metre inflatable floor.it weighs in at 50 kg which i can lift in and out of a landrover.would not like to carry it far but if your engine is to remain on the honwave and is trailable weight is not to much of a problem.a 20 hp is the same engine with a few modifications.i prefered to have the 5 year warranty on a new engine but you can pick a couple of year old one up a lot less.the 2 strokes are cheaper and lighter but i would personally go for the largest hp that the transom can take as the engine will not be so strained as a smaller lump.

VicS

Visit site
That sounds good. Thanks for the reply. Do outboards generally come fitted with kill switches these days?

I'd think they all do since late 1980's/early 1990s What make model and year have you been offered. It should easy to check

gjgm

Visit site
I have the Honwave 380, with the high air pressure floor/keel. Nice size inflatable for a family to mess about on.
Essentially we are a family of four adults. The boat until now has been powered by a 7.5hp Johnson, which goes well with one, or two people aboard, but understandably struggles with four!
I am wanting to get another engine. Can anyone suggest whether a two-stroke 15hp engine would get four adults planing in this boat? I have seen a nice tidy engine and like the idea of the 35kg weight of it, provided it will do what I ask of it, or am I better going for the much heavier 4 stroke 15 or 20hp Tohatsu?
Suggestions, advice welcome.
I ve got one with a Mercurey 15;never actually even used it yet, so cant comment on the performance.
Dont want to suggest I am a wuss, but the engine is very heavy. Forget about lifting it anywhere at all.

Tideline

Visit site
I'd think they all do since late 1980's/early 1990s What make model and year have you been offered. It should easy to check

I've seen a very tidy s/s 15hp 2 stroke Mariner, 2004 model, offered for £1700 - is this a reasonable price? Hesitant at getting anything heavier as engine will need to be carried on the transom while trailering tthe Honwave inflatable. Your thoughts please.

Tideline

Visit site
Thank you for looking that one up for me. It gives me food for thought on what is being asked for that Mercury.