Advice on boat choice

Visit site
Hello Forum
I am looking at changing my current boat and have narrowed it down to 3 possibilities. They are the Sealine S42 /S43, the Fairline targa 43 or a Windy Typhoon 43. Has anyone got any first hand advice on pitfalls or merits on the above boats. At a push within budget I will also consider a Targa 38 which would be a lot newer. Any other boats in this class I should consider. Do want to feel wind in the hair when on the move.
Thanks

markc

Visit site
I used to have a Sealine S41, so virtually identical to the S42/43. I guess with your shortlist it depends of which compromises you prefer to have. The Sealine has loads of space compared to the other 2, and the hardtop makes the cockpit much more useable throughout the year. Overall quality & finish will not be as good as the Windy, and neither will it have the handling of either of the other 2.

kashurst

Visit site
If its for the UK, the Windy with the hardtop would be my choice, good deck layout too. A tender on snap davits or similar won't suffer as much from the sun as they do in the med.
Otherwise targa 43 for ride and balance with the engines in the middle.
Some people like sealines because they give more inside room, but these days I would pick strength and ride quality over a bigger bedroom.

Switch

Visit site
I'm biased as I have an S42, the Windy and Targa are great boats - I'd be happy with either if I didn't have my Sealine. I've had mine for 8 years and it does all I ask of it. They are big beamy boats so won't handle like the Targa or Windy but you'll probably spend more time living on the boat than driving it - then you'll find space is king and this is S41/2/3 strength. Going back to the point of handling I've travelled extensively in mine, including cross channel and most destinations in the West Country and have experienced some challenging conditions - she's always felt safe and I've never had to turn back, you just need to adjust to the conditions (same as any boat). As I said earlier all three boats are great - good luck with your search.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
I gave good info on the windy typhoon 43.
About 4 years ago myself and Nick Vass surveyed One , it's currently for sale .
We and the buyer , tetleys off this forum were not impressed at all.
The sea trial was a joke at speed , it wouldn't turn at speed , the rudders stalled , it rode on its chine , proper scary stuff.

I looked at it last week , teak decks lifting off,
For a shaft drive boat I'd go for the targa 43 .

Visit site
Thanks for the advice, surprised the Windy has the Characteristics you discribe.
Dont want to start another thread on Shafts v Outdrives, but I am guessing the fuel saving on outdrives would nearly cover the cost of the extra servicing required.
I do like the extra space on the Sealine, if I was to go for one which would be the best engines , KAD300 or D6.
I will look at a Targa 40, does anyone have a opinion on this verses the S42 or the targa 43.
Also looking at newer boats namely Beneteau 38 GT or Targa 38 which I know will be smaller but could be 5 year newer on my budget- anyone had a Beneteau?

Switch

Visit site
I have Volvo D6 350's which I believe were the largest engine option on the stern drive models. I've had mine at 36knts before so they have plenty of grunt although I generally cruise between 22knts and 27knts depending on the conditions.

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com

The Targa 43 is a better boat then 44 Camargue, though fit on finish on the later is better, especially if the Targa is 2002 or older.
Riviera 4000 is a sea-beast. We have a hard-top version locally fitted with 450hp Cummins. A real blue water cruiser, build quality, electrics everything is on another level.
Fantastic boat with the exception of its limited interior space.

Switch

Visit site
I think they are both great boats but unless you want a newer boat (T40 finished in 2007 I think) I would go for the T40. They look right and have the garage and sunpad in the cockpit. Both are a little small inside (especially the mid cabin) but the T40 has the edge being a bigger boat. A friend of mine has one with D6 350's and it is a 40knt boat.

Dorset Dan

Visit site
I have been on board friends T40 and T38 and for me I think the T40 is a better all rounder. It feels bigger, particularly internally and the engine room gives loads of storage space. The garage is on the small side from what my friends have said (he ended up having to trace an original valiant tender which is narrow for it's length to fit the garage as most of the newer tenders he looked at were too wide to fit).

But having said that, at least the T40 does at least have the garage whereas the T38 doesn't - the T38 felt like a bigger T34 (great swim platform though and the T38 feels a bit more modern in terms of its design and fittings, a generation on from the T40, whether this is better I guess is personal opinion).

I would definitely go for the D6-350's (or at least D6-310's) though in a T40 as I would imagine that the earlier ones on KAD44's and KAD300's would be verging on being under-powered. Plus the D6 engines if I'm not mistaken give much better integration to boat electronics (something I've found my KAD300's don't do to link up with my new Raymarine Axiom).

We bought a T34 this year and I am already looking at T40's as the next boat up as for me it hits the sweet spot for use as a sports cruiser for a family of four. Incidentally we also looked at a T43 which felt a very solid boat and no doubt probably feels like it whilst at sea, but I didn't think the extra length was that well used - didn't like the cockpit seating, nor the galley arrangement down below and I can live with one heads rather than the two on the T43. The tender garage was bigger but not big enough for even the smallest a Williams jet rib without costly modificaton from what I was told at the time. Then you add the increased mooring fees and fuel (albeit offset potentially by cost savings on servicing shafts rather than outdrives) and I still concluded that I preferred the T40.

Seahope

Visit site
Hello Forum
I am looking at changing my current boat and have narrowed it down to 3 possibilities. They are the Sealine S42 /S43, the Fairline targa 43 or a Windy Typhoon 43. Has anyone got any first hand advice on pitfalls or merits on the above boats. At a push within budget I will also consider a Targa 38 which would be a lot newer. Any other boats in this class I should consider. Do want to feel wind in the hair when on the move.
Thanks

At SIBS I looked at the new Princess V42 (or something similar), that really was a nice boat and the other one almost as good in my eyes was the Bavaria S40 coupe which I really found myself liking. Obviously if money was no object I would buy the Princess ;-)

jrudge

Visit site
I have been on board friends T40 and T38 and for me I think the T40 is a better all rounder. It feels bigger, particularly internally and the engine room gives loads of storage space. The garage is on the small side from what my friends have said (he ended up having to trace an original valiant tender which is narrow for it's length to fit the garage as most of the newer tenders he looked at were too wide to fit).

But having said that, at least the T40 does at least have the garage whereas the T38 doesn't - the T38 felt like a bigger T34 (great swim platform though and the T38 feels a bit more modern in terms of its design and fittings, a generation on from the T40, whether this is better I guess is personal opinion).

I would definitely go for the D6-350's (or at least D6-310's) though in a T40 as I would imagine that the earlier ones on KAD44's and KAD300's would be verging on being under-powered. Plus the D6 engines if I'm not mistaken give much better integration to boat electronics (something I've found my KAD300's don't do to link up with my new Raymarine Axiom).

We bought a T34 this year and I am already looking at T40's as the next boat up as for me it hits the sweet spot for use as a sports cruiser for a family of four. Incidentally we also looked at a T43 which felt a very solid boat and no doubt probably feels like it whilst at sea, but I didn't think the extra length was that well used - didn't like the cockpit seating, nor the galley arrangement down below and I can live with one heads rather than the two on the T43. The tender garage was bigger but not big enough for even the smallest a Williams jet rib without costly modificaton from what I was told at the time. Then you add the increased mooring fees and fuel (albeit offset potentially by cost savings on servicing shafts rather than outdrives) and I still concluded that I preferred the T40.

I did a MBY driving day and one was a t38.

I owned a T40 at the time.

I did not like it - it was small and seemed hollow and cheap compared to the others we were driving. This is not typical of fairline, and it probably the only fairline i have been on i really did not like.

The t40 is more substantial, a fraction of the price and in my view and amazing boat that even though i have not owned it for ages still struggle to criticise. There was a plate holder in the worktop that needed a drain as sink water would get in and sit there - but to be honest that was about it!

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, if I went for a shaft driven boat what other options are there sub 44 FT which would give wind in hair , as there are not a lot of Targa 43's about.

Thanks