Advice about Saint Alban's head passage tomorrow

Mark-1

Visit site
Hi all,

Quick update: my brother came over from Ireland to crew for the day and we took the boat from Poole to Portland marina.

We had further problems with the furling main but overall a lovely day's sailing.

I have to leave the boat here for a week now and next up is the passage to Dartmouth :)

Jealous? Me?

Mudisox

Visit site
Sun burn in the Dart again today, and the fuel barge is as ever 1st class. Plenty of room on the Hbr Authority's pontoons and the visitor's pontoon at Darthaven a doddle, just take your time and they will meet you to take your lines, if you call them up ahead.

MoodyChris

Visit site
Hi all,

I returned to the Portland marina on Friday night with my brother and we have had an excellent couple of days sailing and now in Plymouth.

The main sail sorted itself out!

We are going to Falmouth tomorrow. The weather is very changeable and we were thinking of trying to reduce the Milford crossing time by going Falmouth ->Newlyn->Padstow and then wait for suitable weather etc to cross to Milford.

However, from the West Country cruising companion it looks like Padstow might be a non starter in a Northerly.

We might just bite the bullet and go Falmouth to Milford, but I would like to see Padstow.

Any thoughts appreciated!

SaltyC

Visit site
Hi all,

I returned to the Portland marina on Friday night with my brother and we have had an excellent couple of days sailing and now in Plymouth.

The main sail sorted itself out!

We are going to Falmouth tomorrow. The weather is very changeable and we were thinking of trying to reduce the Milford crossing time by going Falmouth ->Newlyn->Padstow and then wait for suitable weather etc to cross to Milford.

However, from the West Country cruising companion it looks like Padstow might be a non starter in a Northerly.

We might just bite the bullet and go Falmouth to Milford, but I would like to see Padstow.

Any thoughts appreciated!
Newlyn knocks the mileage down ( circa 100).
My concerns re Padstow are getting stuck in the estuary (strong SW).

Only what I have read, but a concern for this years trip! - the pasties are good, a major draw.

doug748

Visit site
You could knock yourself out and get to Padstow but it is not without it's drawbacks and should you get stuck there for some time could get tiresome pretty quickly.
Given the unsettled forecast I might think about getting to Newlin and lurk there - whichever route you choose will then depend on a reliable, suitable two day forecast.
You would have a walk ashore pontoon it's 100% safe and there are a number of pubs, eating spots and supermarkets close by. Plus you can get in or out at any state of the tide. Penzance is a bracing walk along the prom.

MoodyChris

Visit site
Thanks - yet again crew issues mean I might only have a few days waiting and then have to stop for a week or so.

The description of Newlyn I read made it sound like I wouldn't want to leave the boat there for a week or so because it's such a fishing vessel focused marina but maybe it's not accurate - do you think it would be ok to do this?

doug748

Visit site
I would be happy to leave a boat there for a week, you could have a problem anywhere but I doubt it. In the old days you had to go hugger mugger with the fishing boats but there has been marina style pontoon berths for some years now.
I would give the harbourmaster a ring in advance just to confirm there are no difficulties.

steveeasy

Visit site
Probably cheaper than Falmouth and youd be in a much better place to set off when you get the window you like. Ive been in to Newlyn a few times and the berths from memory are nice. Cafe is just across the road and anything else you might need. Id defiantly choose it over Falmouth.

Steveeasy

MoodyChris

Visit site
In Newlyn tonight and it's a friendly and really interesting place.

Plan is Padstow tomorrow and now looking like Milford on Friday.

Lizard point today was calm although we crossed some very confused seas after the charted overfall.

We've been lucky enough to be joined by dolphins every day too!

Dolphins from today here:

Last edited:

MoodyChris

Visit site
Hi again all,

More advice needed!

We seem to have a window for leaving tomorrow at 5 from Padstow for Milford Haven but it looks like a Northerly for most of the day.

Whereas I'd rather not have to motor for 16 hours, if it gets us there then so be it but it would mean a prolonged wind over tide situation as it turns later in the day.

Has anyone else gone across in a Northerly?

So far the forecasts seem to have been reasonably accurate, if under predicting wind force so maybe it will be a 5.

Thanks again to anyone who may still be reading!

FairweatherDave

Visit site
I have no knowledge of the area but I've been enjoying the thread. Looked at Windy and it does seem you are really ploughing into a headwind. I might be tempted to enjoy Padstow after the mileage you have been putting in. But obviously I don't know how hard you are trying to keep moving. I f really interested in other people's opinions I would put up a new thread - it might pull in new contributors.

Mark-1

Visit site
We did for the brief visit, just entering Milford Haven about an hour from the marina after setting out at 5.

Was a very long journey as only managed to sail the first 5 hours or so.

Really glad you did the leg, you won't regret it. Was the bit you motored OK, or choppy?

MoodyChris

Visit site
Really glad you did the leg, you won't regret it. Was the bit you motored OK, or choppy?
Pretty choppy for quite a while until maybe 10nm out. We were pushing about 2.5 knots current too. We've had better days on the water, but it's done now and another "tick in a box" - plus finally on "home soil" for the last legs to Conwy.