Adding internal storage ?

rogerroger

www.myboatdetails.com
Interior storage in my First 27 is somewhat limited. On the port side of the saloon there's room to build some lockers / shelves like you see in other boats.

A former cabinet maker friend has offered to build some lockers for me - can anyone offer additional advice on these interior improvements such as

what's the best wood ?
where to get it from ?
is there anything a cabinet maker needs to know about that's different on a yacht ?

Any good books anyone can recommend ?

Roger Holden
www.first-magnitude.co.uk

JamesS

Visit site
For your timber supplies try Robbins Timber (0117 963 3136) they do a good catelogue of timber - teak amd mahogany as well as teak faced ply.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Two points

Compared to cupboards at home, yot lockers get bounced around a bit. A positive method of keeping doors and drawers closed is needed. Not just closed against movement, but also assault from inside by contents.

Make sure the cabinetry and the contents are not so heavy that they induce a list to port!

chippie

Visit site
Make sure that no manufactured timbers such as mdf are used as they are moisture intolerant. I have used plywood successfully for lockers etc.You can sometimes save money by purchasing ply with only one 'finish' face. Hardboard or really cheap & thin ply can be helpful in making templates before cutting the good stuff. Consider pre finishig the surfaces before final assembly as the insides of cupboards are the devil to paint nicely.
Good luck.

G

Yes Robbins are in bristol and exellent if a little expensive.

Build them out of almost any wood that looks good and matches, well maby not beech but anything not positivly allergic to water won't rot down below. One advantage of Robbins is they give good reliable advice. You also get well seasoned timber which is probably more important than type.

A word of caution, your cabinate maker is probably used to building square furniture to stand on flat floors not hang from curved decks alsonside curved walls! I have here occasional stories of cabinate makes struggling to do this because they have nothing to measure up from.

Roly, Voya Con Dios, Glasson, Lancaster