Achillies 24 owners

boatman666

Visit site
Based in Falmouth, will a friendly achillies owner give me a look over there boat on the water and give some honest review as l have come after much research to believe this is the boat for me.
l have had much experience of many yachts, some up to 55 foot but size is not everything! Hope someone takes the effort to help me out, Thanks for reading, Paul.

MonniotC

Visit site
The only downside to an Achilles 24 is the lack of space down below. They are easy-peasy to sail single-handed. Conditions which scare the Sh1t out of you in other boats are like a millpond to an Achilles 24. I could go on and on, but like I said, they are fantastic sailing boats, just ever so teeny down below.
A very happy Achilles 24 owner for the last 15 years.

Seajet

Visit site
A couple of friends had Achilles 24's; they sail very well indeed - as they should, Oliver lee was involved in the design as well as Chris Butler - especially to windward.

However even I was shocked by the tiny narrow ' tunnel ' space in the cabin, it was a choice of ' either the crew OR the inflatable tender below, not both at the same time !

The { correctly termed ) bilge keels are very short and thin on the triple keel version, and just sink into soft mud as if they're not there - leaving the boat on her ear but I'd imagine quite some strain on the hull - I have photo's of this happening to a chum's boat, somewhere - he only kept her there for one season then put her in a nearby marina because of this.

If you can get a fin keeler on a deep water mooring and are happy with your knees around your chin, she's a proper sailors' boat.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Visit site
Our previous boat was an Achilles. As others have said an excellent boat. Good in all sorts of conditions and all that.

Get a roller Genoa and a decent reefing main sail. Nearly got pushed overboard reefing the main.

Yes they are small down below, but you can do everything from the berth. Not great for conjugal relations though.

Would I buy another one? Yes!

MoodySabre

Visit site
My son has one. We did the initial trip from Aberaeron to Lawrenny, stopping overnight in Fishguard. What a great sailing boat. It's cosy down below but two long quarter berths and a loo under the forepeak. Oregon cooker. What surprised me was the storage space in the huge lazarette and under the bunks. 5hp outboard in the well shoves it along very adequately. I'd choose one if I needed to downsize. A friend had one with inmast reefing which was bonkers. The roller reefing though is rubbish and needs to be converted to slab reefing.

and under the berths

Praxinoscope

Visit site
We have 4 Achilles currently in our harbour, and I have to admit there have been times when I have struggled in beating them when racing in my Invicta. They do sail very well and seem to be bomb proof, but as others have said cramped down below.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Very capable boats. We met Aluffe and skipper Will in La Gomera just before he set out to cross the Atlantic, then met him again in the Azores on his way back.

aluffe2.jpg

- W

MoodySabre

Visit site
We have 4 Achilles currently in our harbour, and I have to admit there have been times when I have struggled in beating them when racing in my Invicta. They do sail very well and seem to be bomb proof, but as others have said cramped down below.
My son bought Water Music from your harbour. Lovely place but a bit lively with an westerly swell. The boat was on the front row right opposite the entrance.

KestrelHawk

Visit site
Based in Falmouth, will a friendly achillies owner give me a look over there boat on the water and give some honest review as l have come after much research to believe this is the boat for me.
l have had much experience of many yachts, some up to 55 foot but size is not everything! Hope someone takes the effort to help me out, Thanks for reading, Paul.
Hello. Did you buy an Achilles? I'm seriously considering one. ?

Slowtack

Visit site
I owned one about 20 years ago... Had an inboard 1GM10...very well built boat and suited me as first cruiser after dinghies but small and I quickly outgrew it...

Gwylan

Visit site
I bought one because it was the right price. Great fun. You have to like being near the action.
Get a good set of waterproofs.
Sort of dinghy sailing with a bed and a loo.

slawosz

Visit site
If you are after A24, I know one fin keel in good condition for sale.

In general very fun, fast and cheap to run yachts.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Open Message to Kestrelhawk; If you want to know more about the boat then the open forum is the place to ask. Please stop trying to up your thread/post count with spurious non posts in order to gain private messaging privileges. Private messages are for sharing information that must be private (like email or contact details if you’re selling something). The value of the forums is the OPEN exchange of information.

You’re very welcome here to discuss anything pertaining to boating. There’s an unparalleled depth of knowledge and expertise and experience available in these forums and we always welcome new members whether they’re old salts or complete beginners.
John (one of the moderators)