Absolute 52 Cruiser vs Trawler

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Im not sure. I havent seen it yet.

Do you mean what plug sockets it has?

Why do you ask?
[/
If you plan to use it in Europe you’ll find it difficult if it’s set up for 110v. Different sockets, 60hertz v 50 in Europe, genny running at 60 hertz.. I’m no electrical expert, but I believe that you will either have to specify all USA electrical products, and then be unable to use shore power in Europe, and vice versa if using 230v.

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
If you plan to use it in Europe you’ll find it difficult if it’s set up for 110v. Different sockets, 60hertz v 50 in Europe, genny running at 60 hertz.. I’m no electrical expert, but I believe that you will either have to specify all USA electrical products, and then be unable to use shore power in Europe, and vice versa if using 230v.

Well its in stock boat in the USA so i'd assume it will be 110v

However its a modern £1.5m Italian designed and built in 2020 boat so id hope that i can use it in the USA and Europe.

if im commissioning in the USA then i'll buy all my things like TV's, washing machines, Dyson vacuum cleaner, iPads in the USA.........most modern devices can be used in 110v and 230v

And i think its has 2 x shore power connections which are 50amp

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
That's all good for the US but once you're in Europe, the shore power will be 220v/240v 50 Hz. So unless it's got support for dual voltage (ask the dealer) then you can't plug your boat in, and you won't be allowed to run the generator in the marinas.

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
That's all good for the US but once you're in Europe, the shore power will be 220v/240v 50 Hz. So unless it's got support for dual voltage (ask the dealer) then you can't plug your boat in, and you won't be allowed to run the generator in the marinas.

Im a bit confused here

Boats are used all over the globe. In fact, isnt that the main purpose of a boat is that it can sail anywhere. A lot boats spend the winters in the USA/Caribbean and summer in the med

Or all the sailing boats and catamarans that circumnavigate around the globe

Why is this a major issue with a Italian built Navetta 52 bought in the USA?

Bouba

Visit site
You can use a transformer to connect European shore power to an American boat. I’ve seen it done before

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
You can use a transformer to connect European shore power to an American boat. I’ve seen it done before
Transformer on its own would solve the voltage issue but won't fix the 60Hz/50Hz. There must be a box you can buy to do this. Or the boat might have this feature built in which would be ideal.

Last edited:

Bajansailor

Visit site
When you take into account the cost of shipping the boat to Europe, getting it CE marked (I think you would have to do this?), the cost of retrofitting (if required) a transformer et al, then it might be easier to take the depreciation hit on the boat in the USA, sell it there when you are finished with it, and then buy another boat in Europe?

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
I'm not wondering anymore, by now.

I couldnt care less what you guys think to be honest :rolleyes:

I came here with a few questions and said from the outset that this was my first boat and i was a complete newbie. All my knowledge currently is from the internet and youtube videos.

Its been you guys that have been asking questions about shipping, tax and voltage etc. But because of the pandemic i have had to put my plans on hold. When i buy a car im only interested in how its looks, performs and its features. I have no idea how it works and it it breaks i get someone to fix it.

I want to buy a boat and i have no interest of spending the majority of the time covered in oil and hydraulic fluid like a Fred Dibnah of the waterways. If thats your thing then great.

Im going to USA in the autumn, i'll be there till next summer and im gonna buy a boat.

Lets just end the thread there (y)

Last edited:

markc

Visit site
Oh that's a shame. I thought you came here for some advice from some boat owners with experience. If you were looking for applause, you just had to ask!

Anyway, I think most will agree that our first boats serve to highlight what we really want from a boat, so it kinda makes no odds what you buy... just enjoy!

Bouba

Visit site

I came here with a few questions and said from the outset that this was my first boat and i was a complete newbie. All my knowledge currently is from the internet and youtube videos.

Its been you guys that have been asking questions about shipping, tax and voltage etc. But because of the pandemic i have had to put my plans on hold. When i buy a car im only interested in how its looks, performs and its features. I have no idea how it works and it it breaks i get someone to fix it.

I want to buy a boat and i have no interest of spending the majority of the time covered in oil and hydraulic fluid like a Fred Dibnah of the waterways. If thats your thing then great.

Im going to USA in the autumn, i'll be there till next summer and im gonna buy a boat.

Shane, don’t take it so personal. It’s not you, it’s pods. They really are a hot button topic (although not as bad as the devil’s own work, outdrives). I’m never going to be in the market for a pod boat so I can afford to wind everyone up

MapisM

Visit site
I couldnt care less what you guys think to be honest
And it shows.

I came here with a few questions and said from the outset that this was my first boat and i was a complete newbie.
That's well and good. I can't remember any newbie who came to the asylum to learn something, and wasn't as welcome as more experienced boaters.
But don't you appreciate the sharp contrast with your previous first statement?

Its been you guys that have been asking questions about shipping, tax and voltage etc.
I made none of these questions, but considering that when LJS asked you about the boat AC voltage you wondered if he meant "what plug sockets it has", in my very humble opinion you'd better appreciate having heard of problems you were totally unaware of.
Then again, if you couldn't care less, neither do I, obviously.
As well as anyone else by now, I suspect.

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
Shane, don’t take it so personal. It’s not you, it’s pods. They really are a hot button topic (although not as bad as the devil’s own work, outdrives). I’m never going to be in the market for a pod boat so I can afford to wind everyone up

:love:

After a health scare last year i decided to travel. However i hate staying in one place. I get fidgety but im too old to go backpacking across asia.

I love the water. Always have so i want to just move from place to place and enjoy the sunshine.

The most used feature on my boat apart from the BBQ will be the autopilot.

longjohnsilver

Visit site

Ok, but my questions about voltage were meant to help. Sorry you see it differently. Comparing it with buying a car, would you buy a left hand drive to use in the U.K. I don’t think so.