Absolute 52 Cruiser vs Trawler

MapisM

Visit site
Since the Navetta is not a full planing hull (although not quite a cruise ship hull) perhaps it’s more suited to pods than, say, a Absolute 52 fly
TBH I have never seen the hull of an Abs Navetta. So, I can't tell you anything specific about it.
But in principle yes, pods are better suited for displacement rather than planing hull - so much so that they have been used for ages (well before IPS) in ships, tugs, and several others workboat categories.
The key issue with planing hulls is that builders must use tricks to place pods in a way that makes them rotate on an axis as vertical as possible.
This clashes against the fact that P monohulls are by definition V shaped - even the most sedate ones, with a moderate deadrise.
Not to mention deep vee hulls: if pods would be placed on hulls with a 20°+ degrees inclination of their rotation axis, they would make the boat capsize at the first hard turn at speed!

D

Deleted User YDKXO

And you shall have photos, soon! I just installed a part this morning. Tomorrow I will begin the design of my final parts.
The challenge is to buy a new fifty footer without IPS. The boat shows are almost exclusively IPS
Don’t get me wrong I am no fan of Volvo, and the more I drive my car and the more I have to do with my local Volvo dealer the less impressed I become!

Not a challenge. If you like the Navetta look but want traditional shafts then the Azimut Magellano 53 would fit the bill. They are solidly built and by all accounts have a good sea hull. And personally I like the current Azimut interior styling

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
Shane - have you got equivalent data for the Navetta (which is what I think you said you were looking at)?

Im buying the Navetta 52

As soon as i can get to the USA i will have a look around it and have a sea trial

But i cant see any reason why i wont buy it......it ticks all the boxes for what i want

(y)

Seastoke

Visit site
Im buying the Navetta 52

As soon as i can get to the USA i will have a look around it and have a sea trial

But i cant see any reason why i wont buy it......it ticks all the boxes for what i want

(y)
How will you get it back to Europe.

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
Sounds good , keep us informed ofyour purchases , and photos . Please .

I was thinking of starting a YouTube channel but i really value my privacy

And im a bit worried about crazy ex girlfriends crawling out from the woodwork :p

Also, displaying your life on social media can be a minefield

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
I can guarantee that will be of no interest whatsoever to HMRC, other than proving it is not VAT Paid.

Where are you normally resident?

Im a british citizen however i will be out of the country for over 6 months of the year. Im not really gonna go into details on here.

I will not be paying British/EU 20% VAT for a boat i buy in the USA......i'll guarantee you that (y)

Last edited:

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Im a british citizen however i will be out of the country for over 6 months of the year. Im not really gonna go into details on here.

I will not be paying British/EU 20% VAT for a boat i buy in the USA......i'll guarantee you that (y)

Here's some guidelines for your perusal......... https://www.rya.org.uk/sitecollectiondocuments/legal/Web Documents/Legal Leaflets/Members Advice/VAT/VAT FAQs.pdf
I didn't ask about your citizenship, this is about your normal place of residence. So your boat is passing through then ('temporary admission'), eligibility for which depends on a non-UK / non-EU registered boat and where the owner's place of residence is. I think you can have 18 months.

Do your own research / get your own lawyer, but I wouldn't rely on the RYA. You can resell the boat in the UK/EU if you want, as non-VAT paid.

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
I didn't ask about your citizenship, this is about your normal place of residence. So your boat is passing through then ('temporary admission'), eligibility for which depends on a non-UK / non-EU registered boat and where the owner's place of residence is. I think you can have 18 months.

Do your own research / get your own lawyer, but I wouldn't rely on the RYA. You can resell the boat in the UK/EU if you want, as non-VAT paid.

I have done my research but i will get a professional to do all the legal paperwork and accounting

The tax relief is called 'Temporary Admission' tax relief for VAT exemption

In simple terms the vessel has to be registered outside of the UK/EU in the name of the owner of the vessel

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
After all we told you, it seems to me that you don't WANT to see any contrary reasons.
Whatever, fair winds.

Not at all.

Its all about personal choice.

But im not buying the Navetta 52 for the engines. Im buying it for a multitude of other reasons and i love the styling and the layout (y)

Last edited:

tusindtak

Visit site
Go for it. I have run the portion of the Loop from Kentucky Lake to Ft. Meyers Beach and back many times. 13000 miles mostly on rivers. Never dinged either prop. Just watch closely if Levels are high and debris is running, or wait several days. In the Fall the water is normally low and minimal debris on the Tenn Tom. It is an adventure.. Don’t need to over think it. Absolute definitely looks good. Have a great time!

ShaneAtSea

Visit site
Go for it. I have run the portion of the Loop from Kentucky Lake to Ft. Meyers Beach and back many times. 13000 miles mostly on rivers. Never dinged either prop. Just watch closely if Levels are high and debris is running, or wait several days. In the Fall the water is normally low and minimal debris on the Tenn Tom. It is an adventure.. Don’t need to over think it. Absolute definitely looks good. Have a great time!

Thank you :love:

I dont think i said that i wanted to do The Great Loop in the Navetta 52

My intention is to spend some time heading south on the Florida ICW all the way down to Key West and maybe do the Florida loop a few times to get my sailing hours up

I'll probably attempt The Great Loop one day so then i'll buy a boat that is fit for purpose

ssduca

Visit site
Thank you :love:

I dont think i said that i wanted to do The Great Loop in the Navetta 52

My intention is to spend some time heading south on the Florida ICW all the way down to Key West and maybe do the Florida loop a few times to get my sailing hours up

I'll probably attempt The Great Loop one day so then i'll buy a boat that is fit for purpose

Go for it @ShaneAtSea The Absolute Navetta 52 is Lovely vessel. You will not be disappointed. ??