Abandoned Yacht

TheSailingKoala

Visit site
So, near my sailing ground in an estuary there are a few seemingly abandoned yachts, they look like they have been broken into and no equipment like vhf, charts! Galley apparatus, safety equipment or anything you would use remains. They have been here for a year or two without moving but the fibreglass hulls seem sound, even the sails are good. I don't know if I can just take one as have been looking for restoration project and these seem in tolerable condition. Is there a way to find past/present owners? Should I contact anyone before taking? How can I tell if they're even abandoned? Thanks

Thistle

Visit site
No, of course you can't just take something that doesn't belong to you.

It sounds as though these boats are on moorings so the first point of contact might be the [club/council/...} who own the moorings. They may be able to put you in contact with the owners or, at least pass on the message that you might be interested in the boats. If the boats have been abandoned on moorings, and fees not paid, the mooring owner may be in a position to sell the boats to recover the unpaid fees but tread carefully and get good advice before going down this route to be absolutely sure that the seller really does have the right to sell the vessel.

Laser310

Visit site
just because a boat is on a mooring doesn't mean it can't be subject to salvage...

I personally know of a boat that was "salvaged" while on a mooring - at considerable cost to the owners insurance company

you just need to be able to make a credible argument that the boat is in danger of being lost.., is a danger to other boats.., or is a danger to the environment.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
IMO it's pointless arguing about whether or not you could claim them because an abandoned boat will cost you more to fix up than it will cost you just to buy one in ok condition.

Everyone who's new to sailing thinks, "I'm handy, I'm keen, I can put the work in and fix it up" - this is the absolute minimum you will need for boat maintenance in any case, even with a boat in good condition. Not having a go at you, because obviously I thought this too. A fixer upper will cost you several times as much as you think.

You're far better off just spending a couple of grand on a 21' boat that's been well looked after, and the owner is now getting too old for it. Lots of these about.

penfold

Visit site
IMO it's pointless arguing about whether or not you could claim them because an abandoned boat will cost you more to fix up than it will cost you just to buy one in ok condition.

Everyone who's new to sailing thinks, "I'm handy, I'm keen, I can put the work in and fix it up" - this is the absolute minimum you will need for boat maintenance in any case, even with a boat in good condition. Not having a go at you, because obviously I thought this too. A fixer upper will cost you several times as much as you think.

You're far better off just spending a couple of grand on a 21' boat that's been well looked after, and the owner is now getting too old for it. Lots of these about.
That; the only thing abandoned boats are good for is absorbing all your spare time and money.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
What is it about boats that appeals to you - sailing on boats or working on boats? .... because if you beg, buy or steal an abandoned boat, all your spare time and money will be spent doing the latter of the two.

Many people have gone before you with the same idea and only the truly determined masochists make it to the sailing part. Most falter and wish they never started.

... but ultimately, the decision is yours.

Irish Rover

Visit site
So, near my sailing ground in an estuary there are a few seemingly abandoned yachts, they look like they have been broken into and no equipment like vhf, charts! Galley apparatus, safety equipment or anything you would use remains. They have been here for a year or two without moving but the fibreglass hulls seem sound, even the sails are good. I don't know if I can just take one as have been looking for restoration project and these seem in tolerable condition. Is there a way to find past/present owners? Should I contact anyone before taking? How can I tell if they're even abandoned? Thanks
Why would you just take one? Take them all. Or better still take a yacht that clearly hasn't been abandoned and is in good, ready to sail condition. Have a good look around and take pictures of likely targets and post them on here and we'll be happy to help you choose one.

TheSailingKoala

Visit site
Thank you, I realise that what with the time and money needed to restore it, plus the salvage and legality process it could be more expensive than just buying my next boat second hand. As great as the idea sounds they will still need loads of work and kitting out so a second hand boat can probably be brought (with equipment) in sailable condition with alot less time and a little bit more money.

TheSailingKoala

Visit site
Why would you just take one? Take them all. Or better still take a yacht that clearly hasn't been abandoned and is in good, ready to sail condition. Have a good look around and take pictures of likely targets and post them on here and we'll be happy to help you choose one.
I can post you the location if you want a project yourself tho :)

footsoldier

Visit site
How very telling that the usual, earnest "debaters" use the opportunity to start a discussion on the merits or otherwise of restoring a neglected boat.

To the OP, you are a potential criminal. Look up the definition of theft. If a boat - or anything else - does not belong to you, then you do not have any right to touch it.

RogerJolly

Visit site
Anyone who leaves their boat unused for years doesn't deserve to have it and would probably not miss it if it was gone.

Let's see boats put to use!

doug748

Visit site
Can I take a seemingly abandoned yacht?

It can be done but there is an established procedure:

Wreck and salvage law

You need to think very carefully about the advantages, which for a small boat are very few, as others have pointed out. Make careful enquiries first, if you act in haste you could be accused of theft, or fined as outlined above

If it were an attractive proposition there would be less seemingly abandoned boats around. If you want a project there are lots available for little or no money whose owners would very gladly give you clear rights

KeithMD

Visit site
It can be done but there is an established procedure:
Wreck and salvage law

Yes, that, and also boats salvaged by the Port Authority or Harbour Masters Office.
e,g
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that Cornwall Council (‘the Council’) as statutory harbour authority for Penzance Harbour has exercised its powers under article 35 of the Penzance Harbour Revision Order 2009 to sell, break up or otherwise dispose vessels which have been left in an unserviceable condition, laid by or neglected in Penzance harbour.
Boats for Sale - Cornwall Harbours

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Yes, that, and also boats salvaged by the Port Authority or Harbour Masters Office.
e,g
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that Cornwall Council (‘the Council’) as statutory harbour authority for Penzance Harbour has exercised its powers under article 35 of the Penzance Harbour Revision Order 2009 to sell, break up or otherwise dispose vessels which have been left in an unserviceable condition, laid by or neglected in Penzance harbour.
Boats for Sale - Cornwall Harbours
But note that the regulations for sales like this are governed by local by-laws, so will vary (or be absent) elsewhere.