Abandon hope now

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
Yes. However, having said that, the Met Office have been predicting a hot summer for yonks and it's mostly been crap, so perhaps now that they're forecasting doom and gloom, things will pick up? :)

Presumably they've given up hope of the Jet Stream making its way north.

Last edited:

ChrisE

www.simpleisgood.com
Yes. However, having said that, the Met Office have been predicting a hot summer for yonks and it's mostly been crap, so perhaps now that they're forecasting doom and gloom, things will pick up? :)

Presumably they've given up hope of the Jet Stream making its way north.

Well, I'm betting that we'll have good September and October, as we have for the past few years.

NPMR

Visit site
We abandoned our cruise two weeks ago and I have been watching the inshore forecast ever since. I can only recall ONE DAY! when there wasn't a Strong Wind warning!!

The UK diagram is permanently ringed in red! As we don't sail when this is about (says SWMBO), we're obviously not getting much sailing at the moment - and neither is the garden improving much as we skulk about indoors!

alexrunic

Visit site
I've just got used to going out in less than perfect weather. For the last few weekend trips and a week's cruise there have been lots of strong wind warnings up to force 7, otherwise i just would not get out at all. Had some very good sailing and not been too wet either. So there are plus and minus points to this weather least I've not had to motor much.

shmoo

Visit site
We set off mid June from the East Coast and got back a day or two ago. We thought the weather was better than the previous two summers - more sun and less rain, although quite a bit of wind. The result is that we can now sail in more wind than we used to!

We spent the whole trip with the number 2 on the front and never set out without a reef in the main, but F6 and 7 and the top end of "moderate" sea state seem much less scary in sunshine than pouring rain.

We actually wimped out of the Scillys becuase of the wind but had a nice few days in Penzance (and a very rolly night off Mousehole).

Coming back a pattern emerged: we would wait a few days for an inshore forecast without a SWW, then say 'screw it, lets go anyway' and be pleased with the resulting fast times such as Brixham to Yarmouth in about 22 hours (about 16 hours actual sailing and a 6 hour dog walk and sleep break anchored off Swanage). Then Eastbourne to Orwell in 24 hours (with a 6 hour sleep/tide break anchored in Dover)

Last edited:

flyingscampi

Visit site
This year has been great for sailing! My old tub only lifts her skirts in 15 knots.

If you want hot sun and gentle breezes then you might have to wait until 2050 unless the apocalyptic forecasts are a bit off...can't think why they should? :)

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
I can only recall ONE DAY! when there wasn't a Strong Wind warning!!
If you want to go sailing these have to be resolutely ignored - a fact we learned on our trip round Ireland in 2004. (The Irish have had a SWW system for longer than the UK)

We find most people now sail in stronger winds than they would have done ten years ago. The secret is to adjust your sail plan and (equally importantly) your destination to suit the wind direction

Our rule of thumb is:

Maximum wind speed if course is to windward: F5

Beam Reach : F6

Downwind - anything up to F8 depending on sea conditions and the guarantee of safe, easy to enter shelter at the destination

(This is in a 27ft yacht)

- W

Davy_S

Visit site
I really cannot understand why peeps would believe such a long term forecast, most of you would not rely on a forecast more than three days in front. Every year the joke is in Spain or Greece, one of the UK gutter tabloids will spout, the uk is hotter than the Med, yes, yes yes, of course it it, for one day only! I am wiping the sweat of my brow in 36c as I type this!
I think the uk forecasters have been bribed by the uk tourist board to produce a forecast intended to make gullable Brits book a holiday in the uk.
This has not worked though, because most places have received an unexpected late rush of bookings in the sun, we have lost or reffered seven bookings for July alone, What Reccesesion!

Visit site

They seem confident to predict the weather fifty years hence (we're all going to fry!) but are incapable of predicting the weather a few weeks, or even days, hence.
We tend not to trust the latter. We should totally ignore the former.
Collect some seaweed from the foreshore, hang it off your wheel, fire up your horsepower and get off the pontoon into the wild blue yonder.
Bless
The Vic

jimmynoboat

Visit site
I think the uk forecasters have been bribed by the uk tourist board to produce a forecast intended to make gullable Brits book a holiday in the uk.

I thought I was the only person in the world who thought the forecasters were on a back-hander to help sell british holidays, convertable cars, garden furniture and bleedin' BBQs.

ChrisE

www.simpleisgood.com
Listen you, keep well away from West France! We are still here waiting to go there and already have your rubbish, don't want more of it again when (if) we ever get out of here..:(

Don't fuss yourself, we're going on the ferry to Roscoff and then N Brittany, so we'll continue to act as a bad weather magnet whilst you sun yourself in Belle Isle.