A Trick Worth Knowing

noelex

Visit site
The trick involves tying knots in clothing (in this case jeans), trapping some air in the clothing and then using this to provide buoyancy. Many years ago I saw a video of someone demonstrating this in the water and it worked surprisingly well.

The news story is about a crew member who was lost overboard for 3 hours from a 12m yacht off New Zealand and credits the trick with saving his life.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/r...e/news-story/12b1fa56707e3cfcb07e7a534c2589e5

noelex

Visit site
Part of the Royal Life-Saving Society Bronze Medallion course.
Interesting. I did this qualification many years ago in Australia. I remember how tough it was swimming for the distance requirement in clothes, especially as we did this in the sea and there was a reasonable swell running.

I don’t recall any mention of the trick, but I was probably not paying attention. The girls in their wet clothes did provide reasonable grounds for a young man’s thoughts to wander :).

I am glad everyone knows about it anyway.

Razorfish

Visit site
Yes! I earned something like a Bronze medal life saving badge for being about to swim so many metres, duck diving to retieve a brick and then staying afloat using knotted trousers.

macd

Visit site
Yes! I earned something like a Bronze medal life saving badge for being about to swim so many metres, duck diving to retieve a brick and then staying afloat using knotted trousers.

You also had to demonstrate an ability to dislocate a (panicking) rescuee's thumbs, which is perhaps more memorable. (Especially for the volunteer rescuee.)

Boo2

Visit site
The trick involves tying knots in clothing (in this case jeans), trapping some air in the clothing and then using this to provide buoyancy. Many years ago I saw a video of someone demonstrating this in the water and it worked surprisingly well.

The news story is about a crew member who was lost overboard for 3 hours from a 12m yacht off New Zealand and credits the trick with saving his life.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/r...e/news-story/12b1fa56707e3cfcb07e7a534c2589e5

Standard technique taught to me at the age of 7... :)

Boo2

BelleSerene

Visit site
Standard technique taught to me at the age of 7... :)

Boo2

Likewise.

However, I recall that to do it, you needed something called pyjamas. Now it’s not just that I sleep naked, but even if I slept in pyjamas, well, that’s not what I’d be wearing when I fell overboard, is it? Trouble is, I have very little confidence that I could tie an airproof knot in regular cotton trousers. How on earth does that work?