A summer cruise in 1964, in a 16ft Wayfarer, from Scotland to Norway!

Boreades

Visit site
If folk have seen this before, apologies, it's my first time.

The classic film of Frank Dye's sail from Scotland to Norway in 1964, via the Faroes in his Wayfarer 16-foot open dinghy, a boat that is now in the British Maritime Museum.

I did wonder about their lifeline technique, it looked like a rope tied round their necks(?)

IanR

seascape2016.blogspot.com
Takes me back to the days of cruising in a wayfarer, my dad and two of us kids under a boom tent in Cornwall, top n tailed alongside the centreboard case,incredible to think how the clothing and safety technology has changed since then. I take my hat off to them.

Boreades

Visit site
Wow! I haven't seen that film yet. How did you find that film?

I stumbled on it, I've been trying to remember! :confused:

But here's another one I've just found - this might have been a bit warmer and more comfortable, but none the less epic!

4000 miles in a wayfarer dinghy is the cruising documentary account of Steve Clarke-Lens 1991 epic deep sea sailing voyage from the Ionian Islands in Greece to Egypt up the river Nile and back again.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
If folk have seen this before, apologies, it's my first time.

The classic film of Frank Dye's sail from Scotland to Norway in 1964, via the Faroes in his Wayfarer 16-foot open dinghy, a boat that is now in the British Maritime Museum.

I did wonder about their lifeline technique, it looked like a rope tied round their necks(?)

Totally crazy.

dancrane

Visit site
Extraordinary. I suppose the home-movie quality of the film-stock gives an impression of this voyage being much earlier than it is, but regardless, these gents' planning, and their practicality, hardiness and determination seem akin to Shackleton's.

I plan plenty of leisurely warm-weather dinghy-cruising, but this cruise is so extreme in every way, the two concepts can't be compared. The distance, dangers and hardships involved in this film's content makes it seem more like something one would only undertake if one's life depended upon it.

Difficult to picture anything more nightmarish than dressing in six or seven layers of cold damp cotton and wool, then trapping oneself securely under the thwart of a tiny unballasted boat as the wind hits gale-force, in 20ft waves, a hundred miles offshore in the North Sea.

Keen as I am, and much as I admire these gents' physical toughness, practical resourcefulness and mental determination, I can't see this as a venture which ought to be repeated.

Robert Wilson

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay
Visit site
Difficult to picture anything more nightmarish than dressing in six or seven layers of cold damp cotton and wool, then trapping oneself securely under the thwart of a tiny unballasted boat as the wind hits gale-force, in 20ft waves, a hundred miles offshore in the North Sea.

Keen as I am, and much as I admire these gents' physical toughness, practical resourcefulness and mental determination, I can't see this as a venture which ought to be repeated.

And DEFINITELY not by me!

Tradewinds

Visit site
I stumbled on it, I've been trying to remember! :confused:

But here's another one I've just found - this might have been a bit warmer and more comfortable, but none the less epic!

4000 miles in a wayfarer dinghy is the cruising documentary account of Steve Clarke-Lens 1991 epic deep sea sailing voyage from the Ionian Islands in Greece to Egypt up the river Nile and back again.

Really enjoyed that.

D

Deleted member 36384

Is this the voyage where he lowers the mast and lashes himself into the dinghy which subsequently rolls over and over is some big waves and wind? There is an old guy who sails his Wayfarer singlehanded on some incredible voyages around Denmark, fairly recently too as reported in the Autumn news letter from the UK Wayfarer Association. It is not in this vein but remarkable passages in some quite boisterous conditions, nevertheless.