A question of registration

grumpygit

Visit site
This may have an obvious answer but I am asking the question in case I'm missing something. I'm just musing at the moment but if I was to buy a Greek/EU owned boat, would you recommend putting it on the SSR or leave it on the flag it's already on. The boat will be used and kept in Greece and I have residence in Greece and a home address in the UK.

Tranona

Visit site
No problem putting it on Part 1 if you are a UK citizen (or indeed if you are not, just a bit more admin to have a UK representative). However Part 3 SSR is only open to UK residents and if you are Greek resident may be difficult to meet the residence requirements for Part 3.

grumpygit

Visit site
Cheers for the input Tranona. I tend to flipflop between Greece and the UK but Greece is showing more flip than flop at the moment. I wouldn't want to open a whole can of worms by going down the route of a Greek flag (or any other EU flag) as I have absolutely no other knowledge of foreign registration except for the SSR.

Tranona

Visit site
You can try SSR. There is guidance on eligibility on the application site. Otherwise Polish registration is flavour of the month for thise spooked by Brexit into thinking that having a UK registration will cause them problems in the EU.

grumpygit

Visit site
You can try SSR. There is guidance on eligibility on the application site. Otherwise Polish registration is flavour of the month for thise spooked by Brexit into thinking that having a UK registration will cause them problems in the EU.

Thanks again, with the options I'm sure I'll work it out if I need to. If not I will be back ;)

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Grumpgit have been tighten up regarding SSR
You may have heard , the sticking point are UK resident and some how to pay it through a back in your name at the address TBH when I did mine not long ago I think they ask for prove of my address ,
Can't quite remember , they also ask for bill of sale .

You could start and claim your boat ,( it's how they do it now) and see where it takes you .

( Any eligible UK resident owning a boat or yacht for personal leisure use, that is less than 24 metres in length overall (LOA), and who are ordinarily resident in the UK for 185 days in a 12 month period, can join the Small Ships Register no matter where in the world the boat is based.)

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Bit more info .

Before you register your boat or yacht for private leisure use, you’ll need to have the following information to hand.

• Vessel name
  • Details of all *owners, including email addresses
  • Official number if previously registered (beginning with SSR if Small Ships Registered, or a set of numbers if Part I Commercial Registered)
  • Type of boat e.g. Motor Yacht, Sailing Yacht, wet boat, sport boats etc
  • Make/Model of boat and number of hulls
  • Length overall (in metres)
  • Hull Identification Number (HIN) if appropriate

RupertW

Visit site
I would have agreed with the recommendations above for SSR until seeing the (maybe illegal) interpretations reported since Brexit where people in Greece and Spain mostly have reported that although EU VAT paid the boats are being treated differently (e.g. requesting transit logs) because their boat is not EU flagged.

I’m hoping this will settle down before we get back to the Med in the next couple of years, but I’m considering moving from SSR to Polish if necessary.

Tranona

Visit site
That does seem to be the case as in Greece they have recently passed a law which regularises what was common practice. Don't have enough information to know whether they are defining "third country" by registration or the EU definition for VAT purposes. Suspect the former, and as it is a state law (rather than EU derived) they will take it to mean what they want!. Splendid way of discouraging visitors but guess just the latest in a long line of ill thought out laws.

serendipity66

Visit site
My boat has been in Spain for the past 5 years. It is UK flagged and SSR registered. VAT was paid on initial purchase in the UK 22 years ago.
There has been absolutely no official interest in my boat being in Spannish waters since 2017.
I move up and down the coast, in and out of various marinas, and 2 crossings to the Balearics. No-one has paid the slightest interest in the boats status, VAT or otherwise.
I don't go asking official questions.
I, of course, am restricted to the 90/180 days ruling however.

Visit site
During my 40 years here all but one of my various boats have been SSR. and never a question. ( hope that I'm not tempting fate ).
I am not restricted.

grumpygit

Visit site
During my 40 years here all but one of my various boats have been SSR. and never a question. ( hope that I'm not tempting fate ).
I am not restricted.

Thanks guys for all the input so far.
I'm sure you won't be tempting fate and I'm sure this is the best endorsement for the SSR.
The insurance would be another juggle though, with many companies not wanting to insure boats abroad and Greek insurance companies not wanting to insure foreign flagged boats, all this does inflate the premium price.

RupertW

Visit site
Thanks guys for all the input so far.
I'm sure you won't be tempting fate and I'm sure this is the best endorsement for the SSR.
The insurance would be another juggle though, with many companies not wanting to insure boats abroad and Greek insurance companies not wanting to insure foreign flagged boats, all this does inflate the premium price.
I have been insured pretty easily by Haven Knox Johnson (sometimes branded Amlin) without any problems in different Med countries including Greece for the last 12 years, and they haven’t raised any new issues since Brexit either for my SSR registered boat.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I have been insured pretty easily by Haven Knox Johnson (sometimes branded Amlin) without any problems in different Med countries including Greece for the last 12 years, and they haven’t raised any new issues since Brexit either for my SSR registered boat.

Despite no claims, Amlin refused to renew our comprehensive cover last year, they would only offer third party with no wreck removal or pollution. We're on SSR and mooring based in Portugal, in commission 365. Changed to Navigators and General (via Topsail) who required survey and valuation.

RupertW

Visit site
Despite no claims, Amlin refused to renew our comprehensive cover last year, they would only offer third party with no wreck removal or pollution. We're on SSR and mooring based in Portugal, in commission 365. Changed to Navigators and General (via Topsail) who required survey and valuation.
How odd - I’ve just renewed mine (for the Canaries this time) with no problems or questions at all. We did have a big claim 7 years ago when somebody managed to bend our mast when we were tied up to a finger berth in our home marina.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
How odd - I’ve just renewed mine (for the Canaries this time) with no problems or questions at all. We did have a big claim 7 years ago when somebody managed to bend our mast when we were tied up to a finger berth in our home marina.

I suspect the difference is we're mooring based not marina. Pants also quoted similar price to N & G but required survey before covering which we didn't have time for. N & G wanted survey before next renewal.

Other threads that may be of interest