A privileged few

Mudisox

Visit site
I only wish I could hear some moaning from the other side of the bed occasionally.

Well maybe 2-3 times a week at least.

blampied

Visit site
Privileged to me sounds as if I have been given something on a plate.
I worked bloody hard all my working life, planned, dreamed, gave up many things to lead this life.
I don't class myself as privileged or lucky.
We still go without many things.
It is not privileged but a choice that took years to accomplish.

Privileged no.
Lucky Yes. Luck was part of it but also planning and hard work.
This got us to the point where we have the choice to live on something smaller than the smallest land sized bedsit.
Smug, yes. Unlike the many still working 9-5 We escaped!
Most people can't grasp the attraction of freedom that they think they have but don't.
The cost of freedom is living In a small boat in warm climates with a view that changes every time the boat moves.

dslittle

Visit site
Most people can't grasp the attraction of freedom that they think they have but don't.
The cost of freedom is living In a small boat in warm climates with a view that changes every time the boat moves.

Now that sums it up. A friend describes 'my view' as a 'million pound view' every time he visits.

I know many people who have carried on working chasing that elusive amount of money to 'feel secure'.

The worst incident I know of was someone who retired at 50 with a livable pension who chose to work to 65 for just a big more money then died the week after. I suppose that he left quite a bit to others...

Privileged - probably. Secure - now that is another anchor thread!!! Happy - estatically.

Last edited:

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
I know many people who have carried on working chasing that elusive amount of money to 'feel secure'.

The worst incident I know of was someone who retired at 50 with a livable pension who chose to work to 65 for just a big more money then died the week after. I suppose that he left quite a bit to others...

Quite some implied assumptions there ... please do not think you have the magic formulae for freedom and happiness, we are not all alike.

I worked until I was just short of 70 because I had a great job that fulfilled me and that I loved as much as I loved sailing, which I only did for a month every year until I retired eleven years ago. Since then I have spent the summers aboard cruising the Adriatic and intend to continue until they have to pry my cold hands away from the wheel.

If I had my time again I wouldn't change a thing ... Well, perhaps a few less wives, they always got in the way of the sailing.

dslittle

Visit site
Quite some implied assumptions there ... please do not think you have the magic formulae for freedom and happiness, we are not all alike

No assumptions whatsoever. Just facts - well apart from what happened to his inheritance...

I don't profess to have any formula. I am just happy.

Sybarite

Visit site
It's time for my quick rant!!

Time and again I read missives that people have written moaning about this or that saying "it's not fair" or "they should do this or that". We are in a unique position of being able to see the world from a totally different perspective and have the privilege to be able to do so when the ordinary Joe will still be working his guts out. So what if the marina charges this or that, don't go there, go somewhere else, drop your hook but do not moan about it please, life is too short. Similarly I am sure there are people who cannot anchor properly, though I've never seen it myself, and I've anchored in some pretty difficult places like the 12m tides in the channel islands. All I can think of is what my friends wife says "what ever".

Rant over!!

Have fun and happy sailing one and all :encouragement:,:eek:,:)

Yes BUT. Little by little freedoms are being eroded. Places where you could anchor before you no longer can, or, only if you pay something. Taxes being introduced relating to the "rich" boating community etc etc.

We need to be vigilant and, where necessary, take pre-emptive action where an adverse movement is gaining momentum.

ribrage

Visit site
Now that sums it up. A friend describes 'my view' as a 'million pound view' every time he visits.

Privileged - probably. Secure - now that is another anchor thread!!! Happy - estatically.

I lived on my yacht in uk for a number of years , summer was spent just off of Brownsea Islands nature reserve , same view as Harry Rednap and all the other millionaires for a fraction of the price.

demonboy

www.youtube.com
I've taken my first look for years at the forums. I nearly packed it in again because the negativity and moaning and bitchness, (yes men can be bitchy too) nearly made me want to do myself in. Then I found this thread and had a laugh. Thankyou. I will read on.

I feel the same way, Hipchick. The liveaboard forum isn't too bad for this kind of thing but I tend to avoid some of the other forums for exactly this reason. Not just the YBW forums but anywhere where people bitch, bully, moan or shoot down, in real life or online. They're such a drag.

I do like a good rant though!

Hipchick

www.sailblogs.com
Yep, a good rant is theraputic. It's the emotional vampires I can't take. Why don't they do something instead? I've had breast cancer and am still doing stuff. Been three years out of England on our Moody 44 sailing mainly around the Caribbean having a great time. We can't all do this but I was told I shouldn't but still did it. Ooer, am I moaning?