A Practical Boat owners answer to marina charges ...

Refueler

Visit site
Take one private channel ...

2009AprilPontoonbuilding001.jpg

a few bits of wood ...

2009AprilPontoonbuilding005.jpg

2009AprilPontoonbuilding006.jpg

and a good sledge hammer ... some good sized PAR wood ...

2009AprilPontoonbuilding007.jpg

2009AprilPontoonbuilding009.jpg

2009AprilPontoonbuilding011.jpg

2009AprilPontoonbuilding012.jpg

2009AprilPontoonbuilding015.jpg

2009AprilPontoonbuilding017.jpg

2009AprilPontoonbuilding020.jpg

Next is to extend out at a lower level over the water to provide the mooring dock ...

Total cost so far ? Fiver ! Honest !! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

wotayottie

Visit site
there's a whole load of small jetties like that one just up the river from our club. Every so often, one of them comes floating down stream /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

think I prefer the club marina.

Refueler

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
How much did the private channel cost?

[/ QUOTE ]

Came with the house 5 yrs ago ... previous owner paid a large fine for digging it. But once he paid that he got a letter authorising it. There's also a Boat Station / Club authorisation.

In 5 yrs total value of the house and 3.5 acres has increased 10x. That's a drop in fact from last year when we were informed it was near 18x purchase price.

How much did I pay ? Now that would be telling wouldn't it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Danny Jo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
... some good sized PAR wood ...

[/ QUOTE ] Do you mean PAR (planed all round)? Sawn timber gives a bit more grip underfoot.

That deck should last a few years, although I'm not so sure about the posts, unless they are pressure treated. I guess that timber's a bit cheaper where you are than in the UK.

One suggestion, with apologies for the cheek, especially if you already have it in hand: diagonal brace(s) either across the main uprights or under the deck would give it more stability in a blow.

theoldplucker

Visit site
I can remember before they starting building marinas, it was said that marina moorings will be cheaper than swinging moorings! Because more boats can be accomodated in a smaller area.
Good job I kept to my swinging mooring!

Refueler

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
... some good sized PAR wood ...

[/ QUOTE ] Do you mean PAR (planed all round)? Sawn timber gives a bit more grip underfoot.

That deck should last a few years, although I'm not so sure about the posts, unless they are pressure treated. I guess that timber's a bit cheaper where you are than in the UK.

One suggestion, with apologies for the cheek, especially if you already have it in hand: diagonal brace(s) either across the main uprights or under the deck would give it more stability in a blow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most is actually Sawn ... not true PAR ... but I used PAR term as sawn could be anything.

The decking itself is the old floorboards of my house from renovation work turned upside down to expose the rougher surface. Floors then were solid wood job of more than an inch thick.
The verticals are again wood from my house ... already treated for the house use before. The round posts were the roof supports in fact.

Wood here ? I have over a hundered trees on my estate that need trimming ... I have more than 20 tons of wood come out of the house ... I think I have enough !! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

No need for more bracing as the channel is sheltered and rare strongest winds are pushing boat / decking too the land not away.

When it's finished there will be a light power sand to remove the splinters etc. of the decking - don't want guests / SWMBo getting splinters in feet etc.

As to life expectancy. The main section seen here should last 5+ years and the next section out into water will need work each spring. So we don't set the posts in concrete etc.. The winter reeks havoc on any structure near water. The bank adjacent to and any construction coming from it move in the ice and if you make it too solid - it will just destroy it. So we've designed it to be strong, able to moor the boats ... but easy enough to service any movement / damage sustained in winters. That's the biggest hurdle in fact - cause -20C winters are a bit different to UK style !!

Points taken though.

Slow_boat

My own cosy little world where nice things happen
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Most are in my House ... there are plans to do a boat club ... but don't tell 'er-in doors !!

[/ QUOTE ]

So the answer is to build your own marina!

My answer is simply not to use them 'cos I don't like them and they're to expensive but if everyone did that the deserted anchorages I love wouldn't be deserted anymore.....

Refueler

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
there's a whole load of small jetties like that one just up the river from our club. Every so often, one of them comes floating down stream /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

think I prefer the club marina.

[/ QUOTE ]

Each to their own ... I was due to take over local facilities but when banks crashed ... all delayed till later.

But boat spends most of its time in the river - so about time I rewarded her with good dock.

Refueler

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Where is this delightful, secluded, isolated spot? I promise I won't visit and spoil it - honest! I'm just curious, that's all! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ventspils, Latvia in the east central Baltic. 57 22N 021 36E If you Google Earth you can make out my estate .. on the wide bend of the river.

Come and spoil it ? Blimey - I'm looking for people to come and enjoy boating with me ... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Today we got a bit more done ... but while away my mate made a bit of a co*-up .... so design is slightly amended - instead of two levels of decking - it now has 3. Photos to follow.

Refueler

Visit site
So not only was F1 stopped for rain but also my pontoon building ... now at this stage :

Image031.jpg

Change of design here to add the 3rd deck !!

Image032.jpg

If weather holds of - could be operational in 3 days ....

Then it's add the little touches like mains electric supply, Solar lights and rails .... steps to get 1st to 2nd level ... 3rd is set at 10" drop = a decent step.

Of course the real bonus is going to be the mast derrick we plan to install ! No more piddling around getting mast up / down. It will also be able to lift the small boats in / out.

All really for my main boat sitting on the blocks other side of the channel ....

2009AprilPontoonbuilding002.jpg

Look to the right in picture - you can see what ice did to my old pontoon ...

Refueler

Visit site
Karlis ....

Near us are a lot of "Kitchen Gardens with sheds / summer houses". Some are used by out of work people.

We have a couple who come over and do odd jobs for us and we pay. One day Victor brought this young lad over - Karlis, 19yrs old. Asked if we could help him out for a bed for the night.
I got talking to him ... he'd just been released from Prison having spent a term for house breaking / stealing. Basically we chatted and I told him straight - Honest with me, Honest with him. Steer proper course and I'll help. Cross the line and I don't need Police to sort.

Later we found out more about his life so far and you start to understand why he stepped of the good path. He was devoted to his Father who died ... he was in / out of temp work and nothing was right. He rebelled, got caught and did his time.

He's actually intelligent, and we now trust him. His home is not a place for him to get back on his feet - no money, no support. So in return for working at my place - we feed board and help him as we can.

Boy he works hard !! He forgets I'm a lot older and I have to keep reminding him I cannot lug humping great piles of timber around !!

It's a real shame - that in todays market with all it's troubles that he cannot get a job. We'll see though - maybe ....

Anyway back to pontoon ... under sheer pressure - I have decided to amend the final dock so that it's a floating dock for the boat. 8m long and about 1.2m wide. The 3 decks so far will be finished and then floater moved into position.

Next week is launch - so I'm hoping to have a "Coming alongside Ceremony !"

Refueler

Visit site
Me ??

I'm 53 yrs old, short and fat !! I'm the guy with drill power screwing the deck down in one of the photos ... off-white top. But who cares - I'm reasonably happy with what I have ... just need a good lottery win to get the rest I want !!